[NatureNS] "Unbiased" evaluation

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 22:06:01 -0300

uot;,&amp;quot;sans-serif&amp;quot;"&gt;a national park, the main objectives of whic

------=_NextPart_000_0DCC_01D0AEC9.F6485760

RE: [NatureNS] "Unbiased" evaluationDear All,                            =
        June 24, 2015
    I don't want to beat a dead horse but what struck me in todays =
article was the relevation that this project presented as a  "...purely =
privately funded venture ... proceeding on the strength of its own =
merits, based on impartially done reviews.." is in fact the exact =
opposite.=20
    Approved by the Conservative government in August 2013, given =
gushing thumbs up by the CEO of Parks Canada two months later, helped by =
a $100,000 donation from Parks Canada (i.e. tax money) in 2013, =
evaluation of the project effected by a major stakeholder, afforded only =
two weeks for public consultation (being window dressing only why allow =
more time?) and, being established as a charity will be funded by $20 to =
$30 million of tax money.=20

    In my view, the best way to honor those who lose their lives in =
defense of democracy and individual freedom is 1) to ensure that those =
who come back damaged in body or mind receive suitable financial support =
and medical care [not happening] and 2) to protect democracy and freedom =
from degradation [not happening].

    And Nick, I don't think installation of a Mother Canada statue at =
some location (and I assume you mean some location not in the park) =
should be decided entirely by those who live within a 10 km radius; =
unless of course they proposed to return the 100 K to Parks Canada, =
forgo the charitable donation route and the associated $20 to $30 =
million tax money and use a size, design and name that is not deplorably =
crass.=20

    And as noted in the Globe and Mail article there is a far more =
suitable memorial already in the Park; a modest cairn with words to =
honor their sacrifice.  They surely did not die so that the residents of =
Dingwall, Cape North or Ingonish could have a tourist attraction.

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville

  ----- Original Message -----=20