[NatureNS] Bizarre Raven Behaviour

From: Shouty McShoutsalot <desolatechair@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2015 14:33:23 +0000
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001a1137b19c8e303e051994db1c

Ravens are such interesting birds.

I have a sandstone stone fire pit behind my cottage.  To the side is an
unmown area we keep wood, kindling etc.

This morning I observed a Northern Raven hunkered down in this area, almost
as if he was taking a dirt bath or incubating an egg. Occasionally he would
twitch erratically, take a small leap, and then preen some part of his
anatomy, pick around the debris a little, then resettle in position and
repeat.

There were two other Ravens in the trees close by.

My first thought was he was entangled in something and trying to get free.
However, after about ten minutes of this, he flew off, apparently no worse
for wear.

When I examined the immediate area of action I observed hundreds of red
ants, highly agitated, roaming around the rocks and logs and looking for
trouble.

Clearly defending the nest from the Raven.  My theory is the bird
deliberately stirred them up so he could eat them, at the cost of many
bites.

It looked like a painful investment for a small return but I can't think of
anything more probable?

Ants must taste some good!

Jamie Simpson

--001a1137b19c8e303e051994db1c

v>I have a sandstone stone fire pit behind my cottage.=C2=A0 To the side is=
 I observed a Northern Raven hunkered down in this area, almost as if he wa=
s taking a dirt bath or incubating an egg. Occasionally he would twitch err=
atically, take a small leap, and then preen some part of his anatomy, pick =
around the debris a little, then resettle in position and repeat.</div><div=
ing to get free. However, after about ten minutes of this, he flew off, app=
 I examined the immediate area of action I observed hundreds of red ants, h=
ighly agitated, roaming around the rocks and logs and looking for trouble.<=
y theory is the bird deliberately stirred them up so he could eat them, at =
nvestment for a small return but I can&#39;t think of anything more probabl=

--001a1137b19c8e303e051994db1c--