[NatureNS] Queen Bee

From: Stephen Shaw <srshaw@Dal.Ca>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2015 15:58:03 +0000

The Xerces outfit (see url below from Peter) has quite a wide mandate.  Although based in USA (Oregon), would it not be worth trying to affiliate with them somehow?
I'd heard about one species (Anax junius), but was surprised to learn from the Xerces site that they know or suspect that at least 5 species of dragonfly are north-south migratory, like some populations of the monarch butterfly.  Most of the monarch populations world-wide are non-migratory, and surprisingly, molecular phylogeny reveals that the migratory habit of the North American groups apparently developed as a later offshoot in evolution, not early.

Good luck with the project, and as Dave implies, much of insect attractiveness is revealed visually using high power, high resolution images.  I'd add that another publicity 'hook' might be in reference to insect special senses (not always unique to insects though) like the ability to see ultraviolet radiation, plane polarized light, sensitivity to ultrasound, thermal imaging, pheromone and carbon dioxide sensing, and so on.  The animal world leader in developmental/molecular biology is Drosophila melanogaster, but it might be a hard sell to get Nova Scotians to appreciate this tiny nuisance fly that swarms round their kitchens and green bins each summer.
Steve  (Hfx)
Dave -
Just a typo. Check out http://www.xerces.org/.
Peter Payzant