[NatureNS] Lack of monarchs, NSPC TRenton shorebirds, swift update and Cuckoo

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2015 05:35:08 -0300
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

Hi Larry and all
I scanned patches of milkweed in Stellarton,
New Glasgow and Trenton yesterday afternoon, July 13, but no monarchs visible. In fact nothing much other than European skippers, a cabbage white and an unidentified blue but it was a quick look.
There were however some shorebirds at the low tide at the outflow of NSPC Trenton.
60 Lesser Yellowlegs, 13 Dowichers, 1 Willet,  2 Killdeer, 1 Semipalmated Plover, 13 Semipalmated Sandpiper and 2 Least Sandpiper and a handful of more Cliff Swallows.
I also checked the tern colony at Ballast I downstream in the East River from Company Rd in Abercrombie and counted about 220 terns.  I took all or mostly as common with a number of new year recruits some on a nearby point making me think that maybe some were now able to fly.
For the record, Harry and Jean Brennan had a Black -billed Cuckoo from their yard in Trenton in early July.
The count of Chimney Swifts at Temperance St., New Glasgow July 12 was 118 with biggest batch going in just after 21:00.
Cheers
Ken

Cheers
Ken McKenna