[NatureNS] Correction and addition: Fw: Knapweed

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 15:30:50 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_0553_01D0C625.B88D1E10

Dear All,                        July 24, 2015
    In case anyone reads such posts, I now think that pollen starts =
shedding just as or slightly before the stigma starts to extend beyond =
the tube of fused anthers. A small mound of pollen forms at the top of =
the anther tube and is soon joined by a pollen coated stigma.
    The green bee (Agapostemon virescens) [thanks for the help Phil], =
abundant on a 5' x 15' patch of Knapweed and seen only there until =
yesterday, has begun to move to other plants such as Leontodon =
autumnalis [one early plant in bloom) and Plantago lanceolata which has =
been in blossom nearby for weeks but ignored. Meanwhile some 10 other =
bee species have become less infrequent on Knapweed.
----- Original Message -----=20