[NatureNS] how does Downy WP gather HB food

From: nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2015 17:59:30 -0300
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

A Downy Woodpecker visits my Hummingbird feeder many times each day. It obviously gets some of the sugar water by either lapping up spillover and/or inserting its tongue in the hole. I cannot tell which method it is using:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/92981528@N08/19845924340/in/dateposted-public/

After working awhile at the "flower", it tilts its head back seeming to chug at the liquid for ~10s:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/92981528@N08/19845925830/in/dateposted-public/

Anyone know if the Downy's tongue is actually small enough to gather the sugar water directly through the hole? Or is it being more of a cleanup crew and just squeegeeing up seep on the surface? Fun to watch in any case. (Excuse the photo quality- they were taken through a dirty window with an iPhone.)

Nancy