[NatureNS] how does Downy WP gather HB food

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2015 21:14:52 -0300

Hi Steve & All,                    July 27, 2015
    I had forgotten what these feeders were like having seen them at a
distance recently but not examined them or used one for many years.
    But lets get the Physics less mystical--
    First "HB feeder outlets are" NOT "under hydrostatic pressure from the
height of sugar water inside the feeder". They will have a negative pressure
sufficient to balance this downward force. If that syrup were under
hydrostatic pressure at the business end then it would just run out. [This
is the same principle as used in a chicken watering station. It consists of
a pan about 2" high and about 3" larger in diameter than the reservoir. The
reservoir is a cylinder closed at one end and with several notches ~1/2'
deep cut in the wall at the open end.  In use, the reservoir is filled, the
pan placed on it and the assembly is quickly inverted. After an initial
surge of water from the reservoir, sufficient to generate the required
negative pressure, further water can flow into the pan only after the level
in the pan is lowered below one of the notches.]

    And tapping the feeder might well temporarily tilt it enough to increase
the effective diameter of the hole on the high side and let air in or
vibrate the unit enough so the drop 'stuck' on a lower side becomes unstuck
allowing air to enter on the high side. [Whenever measurements of pressure
are taken with a device which involves movement of a liquid meniscus in a
solid tube (thermometer, manometer) tapping is standard practice if the rate
of change in temperature/pressure is slow. So this does not really "inject a
bit of extra energy into the system". It just vibrates that gas/liquid/solid
point of contact enough to reach a point less far from true equilibrium.

    It is a good thing the birds understand all this or they would go
hungry/thirsty.
Yt, DW Kentville