[NatureNS] Natural History

Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2015 07:52:16 -0300
From: Nicholas Hill <fernhillns@gmail.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

family: HelveticaNeue, Helvetica Neue, He
--001a113f95720a7ee5051e2087c2

David and David,
Sam, Dr. S.P. VanderKloet, maintained that a basic separation existed
between natural history and natural philosophy. The natural historian
observed and described while the natural philosopher asked why, sought
explanation and this lead to testing of hypotheses and the science of
ecology. Both are important, the former can provide the basis for the study
by the latter and usually does. But we don't need to assign ourselves to
any one camp and the natural historian, like Darwin, can do ecology and the
ecologist should be a natural historian (Donald Worster's Natural Economy
is well worth reading but introduces Darwin as the Dismal Science). It
should be hand and glove and the practice of natural history shows us the
on going wonder of this world and the reason to not let it go.

Nick Hill

On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 10:03 PM, David Patriquin <davidgpatriquin@yahoo.ca>
wrote:

> Thanks David W. . I concur with your views.
>
> Given the fairly common use of  the term natural history, it seems odd
> that formal definitions of NH are hard to find.  For example,  neither  my
> Collins Dictionary of Botany nor my Oxford Dictionary of Ecology provide a
> definition. My Oxford English Reference Dictionary describes NH as 1. the
> study of animals or plants, esp. as set forth for popular use. 2. an
> aggregate of the facts concerning the flora and fauna etc. of a particular
> place or class (*a natural history of the Isle of Wright*).
>
> I do think that both "observation" and "explanation" should be a part of
> any definition and thus I doubt that anyone will ever supplant Charles
> Darwin as the pre-eminent naturalist of all time - so your deference to 18th
> and 19th Century science is well placed!   From more recent times, I would
> rank E.O. Wilson at the top.
>
> However NH is defined, I have a long way to go to be as conversant in the
> subject as many who post on NatureNS, including yourself.
>
> - David P
>

> ------------------------------

39;t need to assign ourselves to any one camp and the natural historian, li=
ke Darwin, can do ecology and the ecologist should be a natural historian (=
Donald Worster&#39;s Natural Economy is well worth reading but=C2=A0introdu=
ces=C2=A0Darwin as the Dismal Science). It should be hand and glove and the=
 practice of natural history shows us the on going wonder of this world and=
On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 10:03 PM, David Patriquin <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:davidgpatriquin@yahoo.ca" target=3D"_blank">davidgpatriquin@=
=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div><di=
v style=3D"color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:HelveticaNeue,Helvetica Neue,Helvet=
ica,Arial,Lucida Grande,sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(255,=
e fairly common use of =C2=A0the term natural history, it seems odd that fo=
rmal definitions of NH are hard to find.=C2=A0 For example, =C2=A0neither =
=C2=A0my Collins Dictionary of Botany nor my Oxford Dictionary of Ecology p=
rovide a definition. My Oxford English Reference Dictionary describes NH as=
 1. the study of animals or plants, esp. as set forth for popular use. 2. a=
n aggregate of the facts concerning the flora and fauna etc. of a particula=
r place or class (<i>a natural history of the Isle of Wright</i>).=C2=A0</d=
uot; and &quot;explanation&quot; should be a part of any definition and thu=
s I doubt that anyone will ever supplant Charles Darwin as the pre-eminent =
naturalist of all time - so your deference to=C2=A0<span><font size=3D"2">1=
8th and 19th Century science is well placed! =C2=A0 From more recent times,=
v dir=3D"ltr">However NH is defined, I have a long way to go to be as conve=
rsant in the subject as many who post on NatureNS, including yourself.</div=
da Grande,sans-serif;font-size:13px"> <div style=3D"font-family:HelveticaNe=
ue,Helvetica Neue,Helvetica,Arial,Lucida Grande,sans-serif;font-size:16px">=
an style=3D"font-weight:bold">From:</span></b> David &amp; Alison Webster &=
lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dwebster@glinx.com" target=3D"_blank">dwebster@glinx.c=
=3D"mailto:NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca" target=3D"_blank">NatureNS@chebucto.ns.=
mp; All,=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=
=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 Aug 24, 2015<br>=C2=A0 =C2=A0 I enjoyed your article in t=
oday&#39;s paper<br><a href=3D"http://thechronicleherald.ca/thenovascotian/=
1306838-nova-scotia-naturally-a-love-of-the-natural-world" target=3D"_blank=
">http://thechronicleherald.ca/thenovascotian/1306838-nova-scotia-naturally=
 definition of Natural History but find that it is <br>not seriously differ=
ent from the one in my 1914 Webster&#39;s dictionary. <br>&quot;Formerly, t=
he study, description and classification of animals, plants, <br>minerals a=
nd other natural objects, thus including the modern sciences of <br>zoology=
, botany, mineralogy, etc., in so far as they existed at that time. <br>Now=
 commonly restricted to a study of these subjects in a more or less <br>sup=
erficial way... and usually further restricted to the study of animals <br>=
and plants, esp. the former, and their habits.&quot;<br><br>=C2=A0 =C2=A0 I=
 would be inclined to be more inclusive and disinclined to formulate a <br>=
rigid definition of Natural History because I think it should ideally <br>i=
nclude all ground truth and this is still possible only to a limited <br>de=
gree.<br><br>=C2=A0 =C2=A0 For example, if animals are arbitrarily taken as=
 the focus of Natural <br>History then clearly this should include some com=
prehension of climatic <br>effects past and present, vegetative cover past =
and present and since <br>vegetative cover is a function of soil parent mat=
erial, climatic history, <br>time, phytogeography and chance this quickly s=
pins into a need for some <br>level of comprehension of all scientific and =
technical knowledge which at <br>the very least would include elementary ph=
ysics, inorganic chemistry, <br>physical chemistry, thermodynamic phase dia=
grams, intermolecular forces...<br><br>=C2=A0 =C2=A0 But why would one want=
 to take animals as the sole focus of Natural <br>History ? Surely it shoul=
d include all life forms, including the origin of <br>life, all aspects of =
Astronomy including the origin of stars, planets, <br>matter..., all aspect=
s of Physics and (gasp) even all aspects of man-made <br>materials and devi=
ces.<br><br>=C2=A0 =C2=A0 In practice many, including myself, are still try=
ing to grasp key <br>findings of 18th and 19th Century science so I expect =
the day when the <br>typical student of Natural History really understands=
=C2=A0 the background of the <br>observed will be sometime after that elusi=

--001a113f95720a7ee5051e2087c2--