[NatureNS] Fwd: Baird's Sandpiper

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Hans <htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2015 11:49:46 -0300

--------------000805090806020901040707

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	Baird's Sandpiper
Date: 	Tue, 25 Aug 2015 11:49:16 -0300
From: 	Hans <htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: 	NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com

I was alerted yesterday by Keith Lowe of a Baird's Sandpiper at Duncan
Reef. I went down this morning about one half hour after sunrise due to
the tide(two hours after high tide). Tides make no difference at all to
the shorebirds here, a thing I already knew, but I don't like getting
wet when the surf crashes over the rocks. Rogue waves are not
encountered here(famous last words) due to the surrounding reefs which
break up the surf.

The kelp heaps are mostly depleted due to the recent foul weather
although my sweet spot still has a ripe pile remaining. There were lots
of shorebirds including the Baird's Sandpiper which I spotted almost
immediately after my arrival. Alas, the Ruddy Turnstones moved on
probably due to the depletion of the kelp heaps. New arrivals included
the aforementioned Baird's Sandpiper, Semipalmated Sandpipers and
Sanderlings.

I'll post photos in my next blog update of Duncan Reef Birds.

Hans

--
Hans Toom
http://www.hanstoom.com