[NatureNS] Northern Red Bellied Snake colours

From: naturens <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 18:39:50 -0300
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

The chestnut-red colour on the back of this dead Red-Bellied Snake was even more showy than its orange underside when I flipped it over:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/92981528@N08/20876896856/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/92981528@N08/20715331518/in/dateposted-public/
I am more used to seeing much duller, brownish RB Snakes.

When I was searching around to see what I might find out about colour variation in RB snakes I came across this Acadia Univ Herp Atlas website page: http://landscape.acadiau.ca/herpatlas/photopages/compredring.htm
It pointed out that Ring-Necked Snakes in NS can also have red bellies (rather than the yellow I am used to seeing) and the two species can easily be confused. Something I will have to remember when making a hasty ID from now on.

I have seen many more snakes this summer than in previous years (E Dalhousie, Kings Co and vicinity)- on the beach, in the woods, along roads etc. Has anyone else noticed this in their areas?

Nancy

I took the dead Red Belly home and put it in the freezer just in case someone might be doing a study or such? Let me know if anyone wants it.