[NatureNS] Atlantic Sturgeon, beached partial skeleton

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 17:17:53 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--089e0122f7240c407d051f6a4de1

When Billy Digout emailed me and said friends of his found something odd on
the beach near Walkerville, Rich. Co., I was cautiously excited.

As soon as I opened the package I knew it had to be a sturgeon! I devote
about ten minutes to the sturgeons and their allies in my Comparative
Anatomy course, and among other things I emphasize that these Bony Fish
actually have a skeleton of cartilage. I now know that the head skeleton is
covered by hard plates. Nothing like hands on experience to add to the
learning experience (mine in this case, my new students will get to see
this specimen in the future).

I alerted DFO, and biologist Daphne Themelis got back to me. Based on the
size of the skull, she estimated the animal to be some 20 years old (which
I believe is about when they start to mate) and around 1.6 metres, total
length.

Still hooked onto the end of the skull was some skin with the
characteristic scutes and some free scutes were found nearby as well. All
will be a nice addition to our collection here at StFX. We did not have any
sturgeon material in our collection up to this point - so not just a new
species, but a whole new group of fishes (Chondrosteans) are now
represented here.

I want to thank the Burke family for reporting, collecting and temporarily
housing this very special find.

Randy Lauff

_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

--089e0122f7240c407d051f6a4de1

ends of his found something odd on the beach near Walkerville, Rich. Co., I=
geon! I devote about ten minutes to the sturgeons and their allies in my Co=
mparative Anatomy course, and among other things I emphasize that these Bon=
y Fish actually have a skeleton of cartilage. I now know that the head skel=
eton is covered by hard plates. Nothing like hands on experience to add to =
the learning experience (mine in this case, my new students will get to see=
nd biologist Daphne Themelis got back to me. Based on the size of the skull=
, she estimated the animal to be some 20 years old (which I believe is abou=
t when they start to mate) and around 1.6 metres, total length.</span><font=
ont size=3D"4">Still hooked onto the end of the skull was some skin with th=
e characteristic scutes and some free scutes were found nearby as well. All=
 will be a nice addition to our collection here at StFX. We did not have an=
y sturgeon material in our collection up to this point - so not just a new =
species, but a whole new group of fishes (Chondrosteans) are now represente=
=3D"4">I want to thank the Burke family for reporting, collecting and tempo=

--089e0122f7240c407d051f6a4de1--