[NatureNS] Valley Monarch raising update

Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2015 08:53:24 -0300
From: Ron Wilson <solidago123@gmail.com>
To: Nature NS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--f46d044402928b6a8705202c69e0

Congratulations Larry on such wonderful work and results.

Coincidentally yesterday Heather told me that just before she left for work
a Monarch appeared in our yard  between 9:00 and 10:00 am.
It was trying to land on our butterfly bushes but a smaller butterfly kept
chasing it off. (  A or P Lady is my guess- they have both been around)

The Monarch made a brief fly by when I got home at 6:30 - just long  enough
for me to identify it.
This is the first Monarch for our yard list.

I will keep an eye out and camera ready today in case it should reappear.

My guess is it is one of yours.

Best, Ron Wilson
         Somerset.

On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 9:02 PM, Larry Bogan <larry@bogan.ca> wrote:

> We released five Monarchs today for a total of 64 so far. The largest
> number to be released in one day this year was 11. We have seven more in
> chrysalis form of which all but one will eclose during the next week. That
> one is from a larvae that pupated only today. It was a larvae taken from
> our field and matured very slowly perhaps due to the lateness of the
> season. It is a very small chrysalis and not likely to produce a butterfly
> successful for migration.
>
> When the season is finished we will have tagged 50 of over 70 Monarchs
> raised this year. All our tags range is UGL875-924 and if anyone sites one,
> we would love to hear of it. All the tagged Monarch leave here almost
> immediately after release.
>
> We have had a few Monarch appear in our milkweed field and are obviously
> 'wild' butterflies. We saw three last week, one of which had a bent hind
> wing and was less elegant in its flight. We think that is the reason that
> it has stayed around for several days now nectaring on our flowers.
>
> Regards,
> Larry
>
> ////// === ///////
> Larry Bogan
> Brooklyn Corner, Nova Scotia
> <larry@bogan.ca>

--f46d044402928b6a8705202c69e0

e she left for work a Monarch appeared in our yard =C2=A0between 9:00 and 1=
0:00 am.</div><div>It was trying to land on our butterfly bushes but a smal=
ler butterfly kept chasing it off. ( =C2=A0A or P Lady is my guess- they ha=
by when I got home at 6:30 - just long =C2=A0enough for me to identify it.<=
s=3D"gmail_quote">On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 9:02 PM, Larry Bogan <span dir=3D=
"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:larry@bogan.ca" target=3D"_blank">larry@bogan.c=
n:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">We released five =
Monarchs today for a total of 64 so far. The largest number to be released =
in one day this year was 11. We have seven more in chrysalis form of which =
all but one will eclose during the next week. That one is from a larvae tha=
t pupated only today. It was a larvae taken from our field and matured very=
 slowly perhaps due to the lateness of the season. It is a very small chrys=
alis and not likely to produce a butterfly successful for migration.<br>
When the season is finished we will have tagged 50 of over 70 Monarchs rais=
ed this year. All our tags range is UGL875-924 and if anyone sites one, we =
would love to hear of it. All the tagged Monarch leave here almost immediat=
ely after release.<br>
We have had a few Monarch appear in our milkweed field and are obviously &#=
39;wild&#39; butterflies. We saw three last week, one of which had a bent h=
ind wing and was less elegant in its flight. We think that is the reason th=
at it has stayed around for several days now nectaring on our flowers.<br>
Regards,<br>
Larry<br>
Brooklyn Corner, Nova Scotia<br>
&lt;larry@bogan.ca&gt;<br>