[NatureNS] digestive tracts of mammals

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2015 09:51:52 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001a11425fb48a6fef052091d146

Well, there's a subject line you don't see every day.

I have a borrowed trail cam out and got a nice pic of a coyote; I bait with
supper left overs like chicken parts. One person I shared it with was
aghast that I would do this..."chicken bones will splinter in their
intestines".

I can't see this happening...they'll splinter when they're chewed, *maybe
(?) *a bit more due to the churning of the stomach. The intestine just
isn't strong enough to cause splintering. And I have heard not to feed your
dog chicken bones because of the threat of splinters. Yet wild animals eat
birds all the time, and I have come across scads of scats in my decades in
the woods with splintered bone.

Can anyone resolve this conundrum? Why can wild mammals tolerate the bones
while domestics (apparently) can not?

Thanks,
Randy
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

--001a11425fb48a6fef052091d146

f a coyote; I bait with supper left overs like chicken parts. One person I =
shared it with was aghast that I would do this...&quot;chicken bones will s=
 this happening...they&#39;ll splinter when they&#39;re chewed, <i>maybe (?=
)=C2=A0</i>a bit more due to the churning of the stomach. The intestine jus=
t isn&#39;t strong enough to cause splintering. And I have heard not to fee=