[NatureNS] digestive tracts of mammals

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2015 11:23:46 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--047d7bdca6863a71320520931a54

All valid points, folks.

Yes, the collagen does degrade with heat, making the bone more brittle. And
I agree David, who would know if a wild animal dies from eating splintered
bone. None-the-less, splintered bone is found in the scats, and as some pet
owners have related, some dogs seem to have no trouble with bird bone.

Randy

_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

On 25 September 2015 at 10:51, David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
wrote:

> Hi Randy & All,
>     When a wild animal chews bird bones, as they surely do sometimes, and
> this leads to perforation in the alimentary canal who would ever know ?
>
>     But when a family pet chews bird bones, and this leads to problems,
> the cause needs to be established only once for this unlikely consequence
> to become widely known. Perforation or blockage is unlikely but it can
> happen.
>
>     I know offhand of one instance where a man got a perforated esophagus
> from eating chicken which contained  a splintered  bone, presumably made
> during processing.
>
> yt, Dave Webster, Kentville

lison Webster <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dwebster@glinx.com" t=
ass=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;p=
adding-left:1ex"><u></u>

 do=20
sometimes, and this leads to perforation in the alimentary canal who would =
ever=20
know ?</div>
ads=20
to problems, the cause needs to be established only once for this=20
unlikely=C2=A0consequence to become widely known.=C2=A0Perforation or block=
age=20
is unlikely but it can happen. </div>
 a=20
perforated esophagus from eating chicken which=C2=A0contained =C2=A0a=20
splintered=C2=A0=C2=A0bone, presumably made during processing.</div>
-RIGHT:0px;MARGIN-LEFT:5px;MARGIN-RIGHT:0px" dir=3D"ltr"><div><div class=3D=
"h5">
  <a title=3D"randy.lauff@gmail.com" href=3D"mailto:randy.lauff@gmail.com" =
target=3D"_blank">Randy=20
  Lauff</a> </div>
s.ca" href=3D"mailto:naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" target=3D"_blank">NatureNS</a=
51=20
  AM</div>
s of=20
  mammals</div>
 day.
it=20
  with supper left overs like chicken parts. One person I shared it with wa=
s=20
  aghast that I would do this...&quot;chicken bones will splinter in their=
=20
  intestines&quot;.</div>
re chewed,=20
  <i>maybe (?)=C2=A0</i>a bit more due to the churning of the stomach. The=
=20
  intestine just isn&#39;t strong enough to cause splintering. And I have h=
eard not=20
  to feed your dog chicken bones because of the threat of splinters. Yet wi=
ld=20
  animals eat birds all the time, and I have come across scads of scats in =
my=20
  decades in the woods with splintered bone.</div>
=20
  bones while domestics (appa