[NatureNS] coyote visual territory marking

From: naturens <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2015 06:41:04 -0300
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

This Coyote scat, less than 24h old, was left on the one raised stone in this stretch of road. It could be seen from a great distance in both directions as I drove/walked along the road:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/92981528@N08/21739830942/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/92981528@N08/21725320296/in/dateposted-public/

I am guessing this is a form of visual territory marking. I have seen lots of coyote scat in this area but never so prominently positioned. There seemed to be little scent involved as my dog, a smell obsessed Black LabxHuskyx?, had next to no interest in the scat although he takes great care to thoroughly sniff every blade of grass and bit of ground when we are out walking.

Do Coyotes maintain their territories all year or just during the breeding cycle?

Nancy