[NatureNS] Assassin Beetles + other notes

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 12:02:46 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001a113f63a45acb1405223a1864

In the second week of the Intro Zoology labs, I have the students bring in
two insects...I've been doing this for years, and occasionally I have
shared here some of the results. Crane Flies and Red-legged Grasshoppers
are still the most common, and Leaf-footed bugs often earned the student a
bonus point for their scarcity (given it's the second week of September and
these are novice bug collectors). This year, I had about ten
submitted...possibly of two species. So, either they're staying out later
this year, or the population(s) are up.

Randy

_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

On 16 October 2015 at 10:50, David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
wrote:

> Hi Andrew & All,                            Oct 16, 2015
>    I collected two Leaf Footed Bugs (Coreidae) but both were outdoors:
> A1024 11-Nov-02 In yard, Kentville
> A1117 22-Sep-03 Under shutter, Kentville
>    They both resemble images of Leptoglossus occidentalis after allowing
> for fading. I can not be sure that I have seen none indoors; absence of
> evidence is not evidence of absence.
>
>    The putative Assasin Bugs (Reduviidae; ID using Peterson Guide [Borror
> & White] were indoors.
> A26 05-Aug-97 Dead kitchen, Kentville
> A66 09-Jul-98 Stairs, Kentville
> A366 12-Jul-06 Indoors, Kentville
>
>    There is also a much smaller one, perhaps an early instar, found
> outdoors-
> A224 02-Nov-99 Outside of concrete wall, lawn, Kentville.
>
> Yt, DW, Kentville
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Hebda, Andrew J" <
> Andrew.Hebda@novascotia.ca>

tudents bring in two insects...I&#39;ve been doing this for years, and occa=
sionally I have shared here some of the results. Crane Flies and Red-legged=
 Grasshoppers are still the most common, and Leaf-footed bugs often earned =
the student a bonus point for their scarcity (given it&#39;s the second wee=
k of September and these are novice bug collectors). This year, I had about=
 ten submitted...possibly of two species. So, either they&#39;re staying ou=
ail_signature">_________________________________<br>RF Lauff<br>Way in the =
son Webster <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dwebster@glinx.com" tar=
s=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;pad=
ding-left:1ex">Hi Andrew &amp; All,=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=
=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 Oct 16, 2015<br=

=C2=A0 =C2=A0I collected two Leaf Footed Bugs (Coreidae) but both were outd=
oors:<br>
A1024 11-Nov-02 In yard, Kentville<br>
A1117 22-Sep-03 Under shutter, Kentville<br>
=C2=A0 =C2=A0They both resemble images of Leptoglossus occidentalis after a=
llowing for fading. I can not be sure that I have seen none indoors; absenc=
e of evidence is not evidence of absence.<br>
=C2=A0 =C2=A0The putative Assasin Bugs (Reduviidae; ID using Peterson Guide=
 [Borror &amp; White] were indoors.<br>
A26 05-Aug-97 Dead kitchen, Kentville<br>
A66 09-Jul-98 Stairs, Kentville<br>
A366 12-Jul-06 Indoors, Kentville<br>
=C2=A0 =C2=A0There is also a much smaller one, perhaps an early instar, fou=
nd outdoors-<br>
A224 02-Nov-99 Outside of concrete wall, lawn, Kentville.<br>
Yt, DW, Kentville<br>
----- Original Message ----- From: &quot;Hebda, Andrew J&quot; &lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:Andrew.Hebda@novascotia.ca" target=3D"_blank">Andrew.Hebda@novas=
cotia.ca</a>&gt;<br>