[NatureNS] Butternut seedlings

From: "Laviolette, Lance" <lance.laviolette@lmco.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 22:16:18 +0000

Hi Dave,

Red Squirrels have no trouble with Black Walnuts and they are a lot tougher than butternut. For walnuts, which I'm most familiar with, they gnaw off the husk at the tree and then carry the nut to a hoarding location.  They will gnaw into each hemisphere of the nut and consume the nut-meat at their leisure at the hoarding site.

I got a 'wonderful' first person experience with their hoarding of walnuts when my clothes dryer stopped working and we pulled over 60 nuts from the machine that had jammed the drum. The squirrel had gotten around both hardware wire and a one way baffle on the outside exhaust port of the dryer and run up the exhaust tubing into the machine.

All the best,

Lance

Lance Laviolette
Glen Robertson, Ontario