[NatureNS] Unwelcome night visitor....

From: Eleanor Lindsay <kelindsay135@gmail.com>
To: NatureNS <NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2015 17:40:58 -0400

--------------090207030503050907070700

Yesterday evening, roughly around 9pm I was startled by a sudden loud
rumpus/scrabbling sound on my deck; I grabbed a flashlight and ran out
to see what was going on - something - raccoon? porcupine? my cat? was
racing up the trunk of the tree adjacent to my deck and while trying to
identify what it was -unsuccessfully due to all the leaves still on the
tree - I became aware of rustling amongst the nearby undergrowth below
my deck. My flashlight highlighted what I initially took to be a dog -
possibly a German shepherd - but in the poor light the brownish coat
looked shaggier and grayer than a shepherd and the tail bushier and the
legs shorter. It just stood there looking back at me for some minutes
until I made an unwelcoming noise, when it then quietly moved away out
of sight. A few minutes later my cat was at the door wanting in.

Never having seen a coyote, I am wondering if this is what it might have
been; if they are currently known to be around/increasing in the St
Margarets Bay/Seabright area, is their presence likely to be transient
or permanent and are they mostly active at night?

Any comments/opinions/advice will be most welcome!

Eleanor Lindsay
Seabright, St Margarets Bay

--------------090207030503050907070700

  <head>

  </head>
      by a sudden loud rumpus/scrabbling sound on my deck; I grabbed a
      flashlight and ran out to see what was going on - something - raccoon?
      porcupine? my cat? was racing up the trunk of the tree adjacent to
        size="+1">unsuccessfully due to all the leaves still on the tree
        -</font> I became aware of rustling amongst the nearby
      undergrowth below my deck. My flashlight highlighted what I
      initially took to be a dog - possibly a German shepherd - but in
      the poor light the brownish coat looked shaggier and grayer than a
      shepherd and the tail bushier and the legs shorter. It just stood
      there looking back at me for some minutes until I made an
      unwelcoming noise, when it then quietly moved away out of sight. A
      few minutes later my cat was at the door wanting in.<br>
      Never having seen a coyote, I am wondering if this is what it
      might have been; if they are currently known to be
      around/increasing in the St Margarets Bay/Seabright area, is their
      presence likely to be transient or permanent and are they mostly
      active at night? <br>
      Any comments/opinions/advice will be most welcome!<br>
      Eleanor Lindsay<br>
      Seabright, St Margarets Bay<br>

--------------090207030503050907070700--