[NatureNS] Re: Unidentified lone goose Annapolis Causeway, 11 Nov 2015

Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 23:16:07 -0400
From: George Forsyth <g4syth@gnspes.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca,

--001a1149a178d245fa05247798c0

Thanks to all that commented on the "goose sp."

 I am concluding that the bird in question was a first winter male common
eider, that had just come through the flume ride at the Annapolis River
causeway and had that dazed WTF look of a young bird after a nerve wracking
experience.

Seems some of us are hoping for rare when we see common in an unexpected
pose or place.

Respectfully, George Forsyth

On 11 November 2015 at 22:21, George Forsyth <g4syth@gnspes.ca> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Harold Forsyth and I did some birding in Annapolis Co today and saw this
> lone goose swimming on the freshwater (east) side of the causeway.
>
> http://ebird.org/ebird/canada/view/checklist?subID=S25795013
>
> It seemed healthy, was swimming in very swift water, and seemed alert
> while we watched. The bill didn't seem to have obvious bright colour, the
> breast was very light, the head, neck and back all seemed to be the same
> colour, we were unable to see the legs or belly.
>
> I would assume that a domestic goose would shy away from the swift water,
> as many are more used to waddling around a yard, and are very rotund below.
> But one that has become feral may have developed better endurance on water.
>
> Any thoughts would be appreciated.
>
> George (and Harold) Forsyth

--001a1149a178d245fa05247798c0

sp.&quot; <br><br>=C2=A0I am concluding that the bird in question was a fir=
st winter male common eider, that had just come through the flume ride at t=
he Annapolis River causeway and had that dazed WTF look of a young bird aft=
=3D"gmail_quote">On 11 November 2015 at 22:21, George Forsyth <span dir=3D"=
ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:g4syth@gnspes.ca" target=3D"_blank">g4syth@gnspe=
rgin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"lt=
irding in Annapolis Co today and saw this lone goose swimming on the freshw=
rd.org/ebird/canada/view/checklist?subID=3DS25795013" target=3D"_blank">htt=
ater, and seemed alert while we watched. The bill didn&#39;t seem to have o=
bvious bright colour, the breast was very light, the head, neck and back al=
l seemed to be the same colour, we were unable to see the legs or belly.<br=
ose would shy away from the swift water, as many are more used to waddling =
around a yard, and are very rotund below. But one that has become feral may=
/span></span></div>

--001a1149a178d245fa05247798c0--