More Methane Hydrate ; a bit tedious Re: [NatureNS] Little Ice Age; right.

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.glinx.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.glinx.com; client-ip=24.224.154.227; helo=D58WQPH1; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
From: "David & Alison Webster" <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2015 20:52:05 -0400

Hi Steve & All,                            Nov 16, 2015
    Thanks for pointing me to this. I followed a link to 'Clathrate gun
hypothesis' which includes an interesting phase diagram for Methane Hydrate
and Methane gas at various temperatures and pressures. The abscissa is
strange in that evenly spaced ticks variously represent increments of from1
to 6 back to 1 and then up to 3 degrees; an accordion abscissa.
    But the significant message is clear; at sufficiently low pressures
Methane gas will be released from Methane Hydrate at temperatures as low as
0oC.
    Kilopascals are no longer part of my vocabulary but starting with the
definition that 1 cm of water is equivalent to 98.06 Pascals and rounding
up; ten (10) Metres of water will be approximately equivalent to 1000
Kilopascals. And because density of water is a maximum at 4oC (not sure how
salinity would affect this) one would expect bottom sediments to usually be
4o or warmer. And from the graph, Methane at 4o C would be released at
depths less than about 40 metres.
    A map in the NG issue shows temperature change between 1960 and 2014 as
colors ranging from green (cooler) through yellow, orange, and red to black;
black representing the greatest increase in temperature (unnumbered pages 18
& 19).

    All of the bright red (>10oC increase) and black (~15oC increase) areas
are north of the Arctic Circle. The black areas look like plumes of warmth
extending west from the shallows north of Svalbard and Novaya Zemlya. It
appears to me that the situation north of the Arctic Circle is a smoking
Clathrate Gun. I wonder how Methane/altitude profiles in the fall compare
with those in Temperate or Tropical areas.
Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville