More on Methane Hydrate ; a bit tedious Re: [NatureNS] Little Ice

Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2015 17:02:57 -0500
From: N Robinson <nrobbyn@gmail.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--047d7b2e4e3c3979480524c3b0fa

Hi everyone,

I found a good website with a very clear description of the potential
benefits and  hazards of the methane hydrate:

http://worldoceanreview.com/en/wor-1/ocean-chemistry/climate-change-and-met=
hane-hydrates/

What is being done about the risks? The last paragraph reads:

"International scientific consortia are now being established involving
researchers from various disciplines =E2=80=93 chemists, biologists, geolog=
ists,
geophysicists, meteorologists =E2=80=93 which are intensively addressing th=
is
problem. No one can yet say with certainty how the methane release in the
Arctic will develop with global warming, either in the ocean or on the
land. This research is still in its in=C2=ADfancy." [image: Textende]

I could not find the year this report was published.

Nancy

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 7:52 PM, David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com=

wrote:

> Hi Steve & All,                            Nov 16, 2015
>    Thanks for pointing me to this. I followed a link to 'Clathrate gun
> hypothesis' which includes an interesting phase diagram for Methane Hydra=
te
> and Methane gas at various temperatures and pressures. The abscissa is
> strange in that evenly spaced ticks variously represent increments of fro=
m1
> to 6 back to 1 and then up to 3 degrees; an accordion abscissa.
>    But the significant message is clear; at sufficiently low pressures
> Methane gas will be released from Methane Hydrate at temperatures as low =
as
> 0oC.
>    Kilopascals are no longer part of my vocabulary but starting with the
> definition that 1 cm of water is equivalent to 98.06 Pascals and rounding
> up; ten (10) Metres of water will be approximately equivalent to 1000
> Kilopascals. And because density of water is a maximum at 4oC (not sure h=
ow
> salinity would affect this) one would expect bottom sediments to usually =
be
> 4o or warmer. And from the graph, Methane at 4o C would be released at
> depths less than about 40 metres.
>    A map in the NG issue shows temperature change between 1960 and 2014 a=
> colors ranging from green (cooler) through yellow, orange, and red to
> black; black representing the greatest increase in temperature (unnumbere=
> pages 18 & 19).
>
>    All of the bright red (>10oC increase) and black (~15oC increase) area=
> are north of the Arctic Circle. The black areas look like plumes of warmt=
> extending west from the shallows north of Svalbard and Novaya Zemlya. It
> appears to me that the situation north of the Arctic Circle is a smoking
> Clathrate Gun. I wonder how Methane/altitude profiles in the fall compare
> with those in Temperate or Tropical areas.
> Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Stephen Shaw" <srshaw@Dal.Ca>

The