[NatureNS] UK Butterflies decline

From: Stephen Shaw <srshaw@Dal.Ca>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 23:53:42 +0000

    &lt;DIV&gt;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; It
--_000_1C500D285711448788A5B6BA03E51CD9dalca_

To quantify Dave=92s comment a bit more from the same useful source that he=
 has dug up (cited again below):  450,000 km of hedgerows were left by the =
1990s, and 121,000 km had been lost, so the total aboriginal length in, say=
, the Middle Ages would have been ~571,000 km.  A loss of 121,000 km by the=
 1990s therefore represents a ~21.2 percent loss of the total original hedg=
erow in UK.  Of the current remainder, 190,000 km are estimated to be speci=
es rich and =91ancient=92.

Unusefully, the article doesn=92t say whether the losses have been concentr=
ated more on the species rich hedgerows.  If this were so, the losses of th=
is superior habitat would have been greater than 21%.  The poor condition o=
f even the remaining hedgerow is attributed to excessive use of fertilizer =
and pesticides in intensive farming, and decline in traditional management =
practices.   This article concerns hedgerows, and doesn=92t touch on the ma=
ssive deforestation in much of the UK, to fuel such early practices as char=
coal production for iron smelting.

On a comparative technical point, we've also been back several times in the=
 last few years, using rental cars in England, Scotland and Wales.  At leas=
t as the main driver, I couldn=92t hazard a guess at the state of the hedge=
rows because even though UK major road surfaces are generally much better m=
aintained than here, traffic density and speed there in England at least is=
 frightening these days, such that loss of attention for even a second or t=
wo to view the scenery would likely lead to annihilation.  Parking a car on=
 the side of the road is often now difficult to almost impossible, even in =
small villages.  Next time I think we had better take a bus tour.
Steve (Hfx)

On Dec 17, 2015, at 10:32 AM, David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com<ma=