[NatureNS] Red Herring & Forestry

Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2015 16:32:12 -0400
From: Nicholas Hill <fernhillns@gmail.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

ov
--001a113e8f42f372aa0527969d10

A friend recently accused me of being "gnomic", and ill-educated lout as i
am, i took issue at being called a gnome, but moving into this here case at
hand, I think the gnomes have it: "And warning that use of biomass is not
green is perhaps already an effective way to indirectly kill trees." Not
exactly gnomic but not entirely designed for clarity and explicitness. Then
we have: "And if not now, then without doubt in the future." This non
sentence leaves us without a doubt in the future waiting with and like
Godot for some Christmas clarety.

Seriously, I see Dave's point and Jamie's. England found a way through
Edward Darby to stop using beech trees for coking to make steel; Darby
figured out how to substitute coal for wood and thank god because England
had run out of most decent sized trees and was charcoaling most of its
forests. David is right that the first quotation is an overstatement but
Jamie's point was most welcome in today's Herald. We not only are running
the risk of losing good forest but we are running down our forest soils so
that tree regrowth is poor, forest composition is weedy, wildlife suffers,
and the carbon balance (ie. that less carbon dioxide is being emitted than
would be if we allowed forests to grow and used conventional fossil fuels
in the most efficient manner) is questionable. We want to move away from
"Green" that is not sustainable for wildlife and I would put biomass and
large scale hydroelectric both in that unsustainable class.

Good on David and Jamie, the environmental critic and the advocate.

Merry Christmas guys

Nick

On Wed, Dec 23, 2015 at 2:56 PM, David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> is mentioned in that quote. And true enough "harvesting for biomass" uses
> energy for no purpose if the biomass is not subsequently burned and would
> not help the environment in any way. And the province, being just an area
> of land would be unable to prove anything.
>
>     Getting back to the heart of this question; when a tree which has
> fixed carbon for say 100 years is cut down, it is entirely correct that
> another tree of equal size and carbon content does not spring up to replace
> it in less than 100 years (unless a faster growing tree is planted). So yes
> there often is an apparent lag. But if done astutely, say by thinning
> overstocked trees sufficiently early, then this apparent lag will shrink
> nearly to zero. And this may be repeated on the same ground two or more
> times depending upon details.
>
>     But what are the alternatives ? If a tree dies and rots in the forest
> then all of the carbon is eventually released as CO2 after being recycled
> through a host of fungi, insects , etc. In event of forest fire then huge
> amounts of CO2 are released in one slug. And some may have noticed that
> large areas of western forest were burned this year; (some carbon bank).
>
>     Going back to that 100 year old tree which was cut, and standing back
> a bit, it can be seen that the perceived lag in carbon capture is an
> illusion. The carbon has already been captured. The tree, over the period
> of its life fixed carbon and atmospheric carbon was decreased accordingly.
> Even if that entire tree is burned; trunk, branches and all roots, the
> amount of CO2 released can not exceed the amount which that tree has fixed. So
> the true lag is zero.
>
>      There is more than one way to kill a tree. I became alarmed about
> 1990 because Spruce trees, normally long lived, were starting to die
> prematurely. At first I suspected air pollution and this may be in play to
> some extent. But over time I have became convinced that moisture stress was
> the dominant cause.     Trees evolved for loss of feeder roots. As moisture
> is extracted to the wilting point, at a given level, death of feeder roots
> will soon follow and when moisture is replenished a new set of feeder roots
> will eventually develop. And long periods without rainfall in NS go way
> back, as growth rings here record, but if repeated too frequently then
> trees become overwhelmed by fungi invading dead extension roots leading to
> invasion of major roots.
>     I don't have the figures extracted to prove it, but I think climate
> change has already led to more erratic precipitation during the growing
> season here.
>     And warning that use of biomass is not green is perhaps already an
> effective way to indirectly kill trees. And if not now, then without doubt
> in the future.
>
> Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville

--001a113e8f42f372aa0527969d10

and ill-educated lout as i am, i took issue at being called a gnome, but mo=
ving into this here case at hand, I think the gnomes have it: &quot;And war=
ning that use of biomass is not green is perhaps already an effective way t=
o indirectly kill trees.&quot; Not exactly gnomic but not entirely designed=
 for clarity and explicitness. Then we have: &quot;And if not now, then wit=
hout doubt in the future.&quot; This non sentence leaves us without a doubt=
 in the future waiting with and like Godot for some Christmas clarety.<div>=