[NatureNS] Red Herring & Forestry

From: Stephen Shaw <srshaw@Dal.Ca>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2015 20:48:52 +0000

A question regarding Fred & Peter's point about loss of nutrients.
In a natural deciduous forest of any type that has not been harvested at all, for a 100-year old tree (say), what proportion of the total recyclable nutrients per tree-area will have come from the accumulated annual leaf fall (+ fallen dead branches + feasting caterpillar, squirrel and woodpecker turds, etc), and what proportion will be returned only after the woody trunk and main branches have finally died, fallen down and decayed at age 100?
If the first is dominant then the argument about loss of nutrients by logging and tree removal is not strictly valid, whereas if the second dominates, it is.

I'm sure somebody must have looked at this carefully, and for different types of forest and different soil types.  Are the proportions known?
Steve