Long and tedious: Re: [NatureNS] Red Herring & Forestry

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.glinx.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.glinx.com; client-ip=208.103.231.4; helo=D58WQPH1; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
From: "David & Alison Webster" <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: <NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2016 18:33:48 -0400

Hello Fred, David P., Jamie, Nick & All,                 Dec 30, 2015-Jan 1,
2016
    Having dealt with more urgent matters I can now get back to this thread.

For a start I will comment on a quote from http://pinicola.ca/limnutr.htm

"In tropical rainforests it was easy to understand that most nutrients were
held in the biomass, because these were among the lushest places on the
planet, but had some of the poorest soil, often only 2-4 cm deep. Through
the 1970's and 1980's the realization spread north that this was also true
of temperate and boreal forests, and that the deeper soils of northern
forests only meant that the processing of nutrients through the forest floor
was somewhat slower than it was in the tropics."

    Unfortunately we too frequently have landscape with soil depth of 2-4
cm. On the basis of water limitations alone such soil depth can support only
stunted runts or, given an assured supply of seepage/stable high water
table, relatively large but slow growing trees with a disk of roots grafted
to or woven around the roots of nearby trees. Such sites are extremely
vulnerable to prolonged dry periods which are sufficient to stop seepage or
lower water tables (or highway ditches which cut seepage off).

    Soils with fair or better water holding capacity and more than 1 metre
of rooting depth can be expected to support continued tree growth and
survival under conditions experienced to date. So thank heavens for such
sites.

    Being born a tree hugger who knows that only sound ideas, well supported
by a fabric of objective observation, can lead to sound management
decisions; this thread is of great interest to me.  My former professional
background (retired 21 years and details fade quickly but the take home
messages are still clear) also overlaps much of this topic: PhD in Plant
Physiology and hired to cover Tree Fruit fertilizers and nutrition with
emphasis on Apple. This implied, among other things, a knowledge of soil
chemistry and soil physics because I soon realized that by far the most
important factors limiting growth and productivity of tree fruits in NS were
physical in nature; especially those related to drainage, aeration and
rooting depth. And, most importantly, this involved soils which had been
converted to agricultural uses because they had better physical properties
than sites left in woodland. If some of the better are poor then the worse
must tend to be very poor.

    This dovetails with prior undergraduate experience as a member of a
Forest Ecology team where we had opportunity to see a wide variety of
woodland; much of it never cut but unproductive in the extreme.

    Experience on a small area of the home farm also feeds into this
interest. Dates, except recent ones, are approximate because it would take
much digging to unearth exact ones. To make a long story short, about 2
acres of woodland was selectively thinned in 1943 to extract White Pine logs
plus firewood and foster growth of the remainder. It was then heavily cut in
1953 leaving only scattered trees too small for lumber, pulp or firewood. In
2000 it was selectively horse logged for White Pine logs and pulp and was
ready for a further selective cut by 2009. The White Pine trees continue to
grow like weeds i.e. no indication that previous cuts have impaired
subsequent growth.

    At this point I wish to pose some questions. Has the decrease in
productivity after cutting, as noted by David P., been observed/measured or
is this decrease just postulated ? If observed, is it seen exclusively or
predominantly on clear cut sites ? And is this decrease most evident where
subsequent development of plant cover is spotty or slow ?

    There are a host of reasons why a harvest, if not well done, could
decrease subsequent productivity. But loss of soil Ca, due to removal of
biomass, is not even close to being included. Also Dave, I think it is a
mistake to assume that waterways (Salmon) and woodland soils will be
affected by acidic precipitation to the same degree. While it is true that
waterways will usually be spring fed to some degree, much precipitation
reaches waterways directly and by runoff from swamps, bogs and nearby slopes
without ever passing through a soil. And the buffering capacity of waterways
is much less that even sandy soils.

    On the other hand application of limestone to woodland soils would do no
harm and could in time bring the pH of waterways up a bit. In that vein,
disposal of biosolids is a problem and spreading some on clear cuts, on an
experimental basis could kill two birds with one stone. N is I suspect
commonly deficient in woodland soils.

    Acid rain generated much concern about 40 (?) years ago so I crunched
the numbers and concluded that potential effects on soil composition were
minute compared with other forces. Many considered the overall effect on
forests to be positive due to the N supplied.

  Nick has not responded to my question yet; busy or away I suppose. Perhaps
someone else can answer the question I posed to Nick on Dec 27; it being; "A
key question in this discussion is what fraction of soil calcium is under
consideration ? Is this exchangeable Ca and soil was sampled to what depth ?
"

    I can imagine that one harvest could remove 27% of exchangeable Ca in
the most bioactive layers of a Podsol (Spodosol), although I don't have
sources at hand to confirm this, because exchangeable Ca in the upper soil
layers is a minor fraction of total. Most will be in soil minerals, root
tissue and other organic matter. Weathering of soil minerals is too slow to
satisfy needs of an annual crop but within the lifetime of a tree it can be
substantial. And the CO2 released by respiring roots and soil organisms
generates H+ which speeds weathering of minerals. Annual crops must grow
roots rapidly, do the job and die. Tree feeder roots at depth function year
round Thus leaching of N from apple orchard soil is very low.

    In a Podsol, substantial Ca is lost each year as leachate and most
eventually will go to deep percolation or waterways. [Going back a few
decades in memory; Na,Ca & Mg are the mobile cations, being proportionally
well represented in the soil solution and Cl, NO3 and SO4 are the mobile
anions; K & PO4 being relative immobile.]    In the Kentville area I
estimate that roughly half of our precipitation is consumed as
evapotranspiration and the remainder goes to runoff or deep percolation. In
cooler/wetter parts of NS I expect the fraction used by evapotranspiration
is even less.
    In a relatively heavy soil with good structure most of the drainage will
be between peds so only the interped spaces are exposed to large leaching
losses. In very light soils, with no ped development, leaching losses could
I expect deplete much of the exchangeable Ca until drainage stops and Ca
begins to build up again by soil organic matter decay and by weathering of
soil minerals. In soils of moderate texture, such a Kentville Sandy Loam,
most subsoil drainage is along faces of large hexagonal elements (10-15 cm
across as I recall). In short the intensity of leaching loss would I expect
be highly dependent upon soil texture and profile features.
    Typically about half of tree dry weight is above ground and half below
so where, as is usually the case, only the above ground part is harvested
appreciable nutrients are left in the ground. In above ground parts much Ca
is deposited as Ca oxalate crystals in the phloem and soon isolated from the
living tree by bark formation. I don't recall having seen sections of root
phloem but likely the same applies. And unlike above ground bark, root bark
is quickly subject to decay during the life of the tree.

    Enough for now.
Dave Webster, Kentville