[NatureNS] Red Herring & Forestry

Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2015 09:03:47 -0400
From: Nicholas Hill <fernhillns@gmail.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

&g
--001a113eff8caa64b80527e0d1f9

Hi Dave
I can't get Bill's article right now but the New England counterpart
article in Env Man (1987, vol 11, 659) says.."Calcium appears to be the
nutrient most susceptible to depletion with 13% of the total site calcium
removed in whole-tree clearcut products" (Abstract but these authors
analysed exchangeable and total Ca ). Bill took the same approach I
believe. The New England pit samples were to 60cm.
So Bill's study finding that whole tree harvest would remove 27% of site Ca
shows that northern temperate forests are more susceptible with latitude,
something that works against the movement of calcium requiring woodland
flora. These plants are often called the rich mesophytic plants or mixed
mesophytic or here the Alleghanian flora. Shelly Porter and Tom Herman
studied them along the Meander River (Maidenhair Fern there), and we showed
that even in these richest of NS deciduous forest sites, the floodplain
forest (3 times more Ca in top of A horizon--10 cm- at floodplains versus
uplands), there was a strong positive relationship between species richness
of a signature guild of spp (those with big seeds which were mostly
rare..Lilium, Triosteum, Caulophyllum Allium Sanguisorba but also Impatiens
Uvularia Arisaema) and total calcium.

This meant that bringing in the Appalachian hardwood plants into our
province will be difficult because the plant community richness is linked
to calcium but high calcium sites are rare and calcium is the most
susceptible not only to forestry but to acidification (John Smol data using
Daphnia in freshwater benthos layers as an indicator of the loss of calcium
over last 60 years).

Nick