Fwd: [NatureNS] Red Herring & Forestry

Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2016 12:01:01 -0400
From: Nicholas Hill <fernhillns@gmail.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

&lt;/o:shapelayout&gt;&lt;/xml&gt;&lt;![endif]--&gt;&lt;/he
--089e013c68d298566f0528d4b17f

"when we cut the forest and ploughed our prairies, we never knew what we
were doing because we never knew what we were undoing" (Wes Jackson citing
a Wendell Berry letter)

But we do know what we are undoing and if we don't given the thesis David
Patriquin has reported has not been acted on, a minor paper I've done, a
bunch of work Bill Freedman did, numerous examples..some in our own
province..of overharvest transforming landscape into lower equilibrium
states (e.g. shrub barrens here and in NL), the much heralded (globe and
mail.."osteoporosis of forest soils") impact of acidification on calcium
all over eastern Canada (John Smol's lab at Queens), then we choose not to
know.

We are dealing with a serious threat to Nova Scotia forests and we can
choose not to think about it and get in the car and go to a token intact
area but as naturalists, we need to take a united position, stop the doubt
on the big stuff, and provide leadership. We have no grants to protect, we
need to firmly state that we are for a responsible use of forests that
takes a multigenerational view of impact. Until there is a process in place
that ensures that a landscape is not operating in the red in terms of soil
nutrient and structure and in terms of habitat for key species, we need to
put a moratorium on large-scale biomass burning to generate electricity in
Nova Scotia.

Nick

On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 11:21 AM, David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com=

wrote:

> Hi Nick & All,                            Jan 8, 2016
>     With respect to your first paragraph you know perfectly well that goo=
> hardwood was in fact harvested for this purpose; foolish and destructive =
as
> it surely was. For expansion of this see my e-mail of Mar 1, 2015. At lea=
st
> now, so I understand, some quality logs are being set aside but the overa=
ll
> operation, as I understand it, is far removed from acceptable.
>
>     That mess was generated as a consequence of the usual; good intension=
> gone wrong. "acting for our financial well-being" was not part of the
> planning equation. But without doubt the harvesters were acting for their
> financial well-being.
>
>     The necessary ingredients for good resource management are open minds=
,
> unbiased information, foresight, timely fine tuning and freedom from
> emotional obstruction fueled by misinformation.
>
>     Sifting through the huge "information" dunghill and extracting those
> sparse brown pearls of wisdom is a valid activity on Naturens and is one
> major reason why I am here. It is a huge learning opportunity and a forum
> in which those brown pearls can perhaps become less brown.
>
> Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville

div><div>But we do know what we are undoing and if we don&#39;t given the t=
hesis David Patriquin has reported has not been acted on, a minor paper I&#=
39;ve done, a bunch of work Bill Freedman did, numerous examples..some in o=
ur own province..of overharvest transforming landscape into lower equilibri=
um states (e.g. shrub barrens here and in NL), the much heralded (globe and=
 mail..&quot;osteoporosis of forest soils&quot;) impact of acidification on=
 calcium all over eastern Canada (John Smol&#39;s lab at Queens), then we c=
hoose not to kno