(No Subject)

painted by the same brush, as if they all act/react in the same way.
Generalizing about trees dying all at once usually refers to the early
successional forests, rather than the late successional forests that were
more commonly supported on Nova Scotia landscapes at one time (excluding CB
highlands). Multi-aged, late successional forests do not die all at once
(regardless of insect infestation or catastrophic wind), and will
self-perpetuate and self-thin. I would hazard a guess that the forests I've
read that are dying all at once are white spruce (hit hard by spruce bark
beetle). That situation does not speak for the rest.

About wildlife use:  Another aggravating point resurrected in this thread is
that in forestry school we are taught to manage stands for "wildlife", but
that wildlife is generally the snowshoe hare and white-tailed deer, species
that require some disturbance to survive.  It is so frustrating to
repeatedly see forestry posters with the deer prominently featured, as if it
is a species that points to a well-managed forest.  While correcting student
papers on forest management at UNB Dept of Forestry, I never once read a
well thought out management plan that managed forests in the best interests
of moose, marten, fisher, brook trout, or Blackburnian warblers.  Such
species would have made much better indicators of good forest management
practices.  Alas, even deer require some shelter in winter storms, best
provided in our closed-canopy hemlock stands-wonderfully 'barn-like' and
peaceful in winter.  We all need to visit such stand types in winter to
appreciate their fantastic ecological value, and perhaps to take a precious
moment to meditate and breathe forest air.

It's bedtime.

Donna Crossland