[NatureNS] Red Herring and forestry

From: Paul Ruggles <cpruggles@eastlink.ca>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2016 11:36:44 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

As a modest contribution to this post I add a paragraph from my 2015 essay in the Herald published around Earth Day on the hubris Of Homo sapiens:

Man has a long history of destroying ecosystems. We destroy or change ecosystems routinely. No other creature in the history of the world has disrupted as many ecosystems as Man. My intent is not to lay blame, but to warn that the cumulative effects have now become large enough to influence our entire planet's climate. It might be comforting to imagine there once was a time when man lived in harmony with nature. It's more likely that we never really did. For Man, the natural world was always something to conquer. Every grain field, every flower garden, every logging site, every dam, every highway, every parking lot, every playground, every sewer, every garbage dump - you complete the list - has destroyed an existing ecosystem.

Paul R.