[NatureNS] re high-bush cranberries & cedar waxwings and creepers

From: "John Kearney" <john.kearney@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2016 09:13:37 -0400

s trilobum=3D

------=_NextPart_000_002B_01D15D9A.006B6500

Hi All,

A paper by Witmer in the journal Ecology in 2001 relates that Cedar =
Waxwings are one of the primary consumers of high bush cranberries in =
the late winter/early spring. The study indicated that high bush =
cranberries are a rich source of energy for the waxwings but were =
nitrogen deficient. Birds feeding only on these berries lost body mass. =
Waxwings that interrupted feeding on cranberries to feed on emerging =
male catkins maintained body weight. Bohemian Waxwings also eat high =
bush cranberry in winter/early spring. European studies show that they =
supplement this diet with high protein foods such as tree/flower buds, =
insects, and snails. The Witmer study noted that persistent fruits like =
high bush cranberry contain chemicals the promote persistence by =
antimicrobial activity that may reduce palatability and create =
=E2=80=9Ca physiological mandate=E2=80=9D for supplemental protein.

John

=20