[NatureNS] Public consultation re use of pesticide... GMO crops

Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2016 11:18:13 -0400
From: Nicholas Hill <fernhillns@gmail.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001a11339de8420cb0052af33e00

yes, paying more for food is the key to being fair to farmers, communities
and nature.
We get food at ridiculously low cost..PEI potatoes, valley apples.
The weed near a cereal crop does least damage as cereal germinates first
and preempts smaller seeded, later starting weeds.
It's not so much for human health reasons, Organic should be best for
natural world or do we need another label..naturesafe?
Nick

On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 9:35 AM, rita.paul@ns.sympatico.ca <
rita.paul@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

> The reason Herbicides  are so much better from a farmers point of view
> David is that herbicides kill the weeds close to the planted crop.
> The weeds in the middle of the rows are not very harmful and are easy
> to control by cultivation.
> However the weeds close to the plants cause the reduction in yields.
> They rob moisture, nutrients sunlight and harbour insects but there
> is no way a farmer can remove them by cultivation. short of the old hand
> hoe.
> In addition they make harvesting more difficult by not allowing the crop
> to dry out in the short days of fall.
> Farmers tell me herbicides give the best return on investment of
> all their inputs. But maybe we would like to pay more for food!
> Enjoy the thaw
> Paul
>

> On February 4, 2016 at 8:33 AM David Patriquin <davidgpatriquin@yahoo.ca>
> wrote:
>

> Incororating resistance to Roundup & now a couple of other herbicides
> (because weeds also becoming resistant) in GMO crops has one huge effect on
> wildlife that I don't see discussed much or at all: the complete
> obliteration of weedy species over massive areas, not seen much in NS but
> go to Que and Ont where field after large field of GMO soybean, maize and
> cannola are grown, and they are virtually dead except for the crops; even
> after the crops are taken off they remain free of weedy species. Under
> traditional management, weeds were set back by tillage to allow crop to get
> established, then a diversity of weedy species grow up in the understory,
> flowering and providing food for pollinators, seeds for wildlife.. and
> after the crop is taken off, groundcover. No more so. The farmers like the
> GMO crops because of the simplified management, but with selection of
> appropriate cultivars, some mechanical management, reducing some types of
> tillage...weeds can be controlled without eliminating them and our farm
> fields can be more supportive of wildlife.
>
> Glyphosate is toxic to plants and bacteria, so has huge effects on the
> microbiotia also..
>
> Agreed, Nick: " As naturalists, impacts on natural world are our major
> responsibility."
>

> ------------------------------

ers, communities and nature.<div>We get food at ridiculously low cost..PEI =
potatoes, valley apples.</div><div>The weed near a cereal crop does least d=
amage as cereal germinates first and preempts smaller seeded, later startin=
g weeds.</div><div>It&#39;s not so much for human health reasons, Organic s=
hould be best for natural world or do we need another label..naturesafe?<br=
Feb 4, 2016 at 9:35 AM, <a href=3D"mailto:rita.paul@ns.sympatico.ca" target=
=3D"_blank">rita.paul@ns.sympatico.ca</a> <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"=
mailto:rita.paul@ns.sympatico.ca" target=3D"_blank">rita.paul@ns.sympatico.=
in:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><u></u>
   =20
=20
=20
   The reason Herbicide