[NatureNS] Wooly Worm Caterpillar

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Don MacNeill <donmacneill@bellaliant.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2016 09:28:49 -0400

--------------080406090508000002020903

 From what I remember, the orange portion was shorter, with a lot of
black.  This would mean a harsh winter.  However, since I don't know in
what year the video was taken, or the specific geographic area, the
information isn't of much use.

Don

Don MacNeill donmacneill@bellaliant.net
On 09/02/2016 9:00 AM, Nicholas Hill wrote:

> What did he predict this winter to be and what's the rationale on
> looking at the wooly worm as a sign?
>
> On Feb 9, 2016 7:15 AM, "Don MacNeill" <donmacneill@bellaliant.net
> <mailto:donmacneill@bellaliant.net>> wrote:
>
>     A program on TV last night showed great time-lapse footage of
>     this.  A Wooly Bear goes under a rock in the Arctic as winter
>     approaches.  Its heart stops and blood freezes.  In the Spring he
>     thaws out and is ready to go again. Fascinating.
>
>     Don
>
>     Don MacNeill donmacneill@bellaliant.net
>     <mailto:donmacneill@bellaliant.net>
>     On 08/02/2016 8:34 PM, Ken J MacAulay wrote:
>>     James, if you meant the woolly bear caterpillar of the Isabella
>>     Tiger Moth (pyrrharctia isabella), if it doesn’t get squished, it
>>     will thaw out in the spring and pupate.  I saw one crawling on
>>     the pavement beside my car in last Saturday’s sunshine and was
>>     quite surprised at how active it was.
>>     Ken MacAulay
>>     Port Mouton, NS

--------------080406090508000002020903

  <head>
  </head>
      with a lot of black.  This would mean a harsh winter.  However,
      since I don't know in what year the video was taken, or the
      specific geographic area, the information isn't of much use.<br>
      Don<br>
      donmacneill@bellaliant.net</div>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAOK1_GY_kOMp_hs2qGkaut6yCVJ79itX8jMnauKLhm2TJeWHhg@mail.gmail.com"
      type="cite">
        rationale on looking at the wooly worm as a sign?</p>
        &lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
          href="mailto:donmacneill@bellaliant.net">donmacneill@bellaliant.net</a>&gt;
        wrote:<br type="attribution">
          .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
              program on TV last night showed great time-lapse footage
              of this.  A Wooly Bear goes under a rock in the Arctic as
              winter approaches.  Its heart stops and blood freezes.  In
              the Spring he thaws out and is ready to go again.
              Fascinating.<br>
              Don<br>
                href="mailto:donmacneill@bellaliant.net" target="_blank">donmacneill@bellaliant.net</a></div>
                  style="FONT-SIZE:10pt;FONT-FAMILY:'Arial';COLOR:#000000">
                    of the Isabella Tiger Moth (pyrrharctia isabella),
                    if it doesn’t get squished, it will thaw out in the
                    spring and pupate.  I saw one crawling on the
                    pavement beside my car in last Saturday’s sunshine
                    and was quite surprised at how active it was.</div>

--------------080406090508000002020903--