[NatureNS] Florida update

From: Hubcove@aol.com
Full-name: Hubcove
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 09:39:35 -0500
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--part1_3dbc33.33e901bc.43f48ea7_boundary

Spectacular day started by having to chase a pair of otters away from my
shrimp bucket hanging off our dock. In our part of the Indian River lagoon,
otters are plentiful and are adept at getting into bait buckets and stealing
 shrimp and minnows. We have a permanent population of about 300 dolphins
in the  lagoon as well as lots of Manatees. Our area which is near the Fort
Pierce inlet  seems to be doing pretty well despite runoffs from the
surrounding communities.  The Southern area and St Lucie river however are having
major problems because  of billions of gallons of fresh water being discharged
from Lake Okechobee that  is destroying sea grasses and essential eco
systems as well as a lot of  bacterial issues due to runoffs.
Lots of sharks off the beach right now, Black tips and spinners close in
shore. Only about 6 ft and not dangerous unless they bite you by mistake in
murky water although I did lose a fish and my fishing rig to a spinner
yesterday  in the surf. A pretty common occurrence.
Nice to see 4 frigate birds circling high above the sea this morning.
Peter Stow
North Hutchinson Island
--part1_3dbc33.33e901bc.43f48ea7_boundary

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3DUS-ASCII" http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 11.00.9600.17690"></HEAD>
<BODY id=3Drole_body style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; COLOR:=
 #000000"=20
bottomMargin=3D7 leftMargin=3D7 rightMargin=3D7 topMargin=3D7><FONT id=3Dr=
ole_document=20
color=3D#000000 size=3D2 face=3DArial><FONT id=3Drole_document color=3D#00=
0000 size=3D3=20
face=3DArial>
<DIV>Spectacular day started by having to chase a pair of otters away from=
 my=20
shrimp bucket hanging off our dock. In our part of the Indian River lagoon=
,=20
otters are plentiful and are adept at getting into bait buckets and steali=
ng=20
shrimp and minnows. We have a permanent population of about 300 dolphins=
 in the=20
lagoon as well as lots of Manatees. Our area which is near the Fort Pierce=
 inlet=20
seems to be doing pretty well despite runoffs from the surrounding communi=
ties.=20
The Southern area and St Lucie river however are having major problems bec=
ause=20
of billions of gallons of fresh water being discharged from Lake Okechobee=
 that=20
is destroying sea grasses and essential eco systems as well as a lot of=20
bacterial issues due to runoffs.</DIV>
<DIV>Lots of sharks off the beach right now, Black tips and spinners close=
 in=20
shore. Only about 6 ft and not dangerous unless they bite you by mistake=
 in=20
murky water although I did lose a fish and my fishing rig to a spinner yes=
terday=20
in the surf. A pretty common occurrence.</DIV>
<DIV>Nice to see 4 frigate birds circling high above the sea this morning.=
</DIV>
<DIV>Peter Stow</DIV>
<DIV>North Hutchinson Island</DIV></FONT></FONT></BODY></HTML>
--part1_3dbc33.33e901bc.43f48ea7_boundary--