[NatureNS] purple-headed mallard

Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 15:05:12 -0400
From: Rick Whitman <dendroica.caerulescens@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

You can see the odd Mallard that will appear to have a head colour
that is not an obvious green. Have a look at the bird in the linked
photo. At least under the light conditions of that day (April 20,
2012), there was no way you could capture green colour on this bird.
There is green captured on the pond weed in the background and the
bill and breast colour look normal to me. But the head appears bright
blue. Zero colour adjustment was done on this photo. And I don't see
the bird as a hybrid.

https://rickwhitman.smugmug.com/Nature/Birds-April-June-2012/i-BmLCwJx/A

Rick Whitman