[NatureNS] re "wigeon" vs. "widgeon"; and also structural colours mallard head et

From: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 13:36:29 -0400
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

Paul, Your spelling of “wigeon” on the video is the correct current spelling of what used to be spelled “widgeon” — I think I prefer the older spelling — this species also used to be called “baldpate” from the white stripe on the top of the head.

I’ll also add here, in relation to your “purple-headed mallard” video, that structural colours in birds are very changeable in terms of how we perceive them, depending on the quality and direction of the light and the consequent reflections.  The same is true for the heads of goldeneyes and common mergansers & grackles & gorgettes of hummingbirds, etc. etc.

Cheers from Jim in Wolfville.