Consumerism & global warming Long: Re: [NatureNS] Leap Day, Leap Manifesto, global warming, Academy Awards

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.glinx.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.glinx.com; client-ip=208.103.230.105; helo=D58WQPH1; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
From: "David & Alison Webster" <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2016 11:54:42 -0400

&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;n

------=_NextPart_000_03B5_01D17543.79533590

Hi Nancy & All,
    That version of the Daly article is much longer than the printed =
version I saved. Good to see the more complete text.
    The quote from Bertrand Russell is priceless-- from Daly's chapter; =
pasted below--=20
In the 1930's the late Bertrand Russell proposed a policy of leisure =
growth rather than commodity growth and viewed the unemployment question =
in terms of the distribution of leisure. The following words are from =
his essay, "In Praise of Idleness:"

Suppose that, at a given moment, a certain number of people are engaged =
in the manufacture of pins. They make as many pins as the world needs, =
working (say) eight hours a day. Someone makes an invention by which the =
same number of men can make twice as many pins as before. But the world =
does not need twice as many pins. Pins are already so cheap that hardly =
any more will be bought at a lower price. In a sensible world, everybody =
concerned in the manufacture of pins would take to working four hours =
instead of eight and everything else would go on as before. But in the =
actual world this would be thought demoralizing. The men still work =
eight hours, there are too many pins, some employers go bankrupt, and =
half the men previously concerned in making pins are thrown out of work. =
There is in the end just as much leisure as on the other plan, but half =
the men are totally idle while half are still overworked. In this way it =
is insured that the unavoidable leisure shall cause misery all round =
instead of being a universal source of happiness. Can anything more =
insane be imagined.

  ----- Original Message -----=20