Consumerism & global warming Long: Re: [NatureNS] Leap Day, Leap

Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2016 09:09:25 -0400
From: Rick Whitman <dendroica.caerulescens@gmail.com>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

 Mar 2, 2016 at 8:01 PM, David &amp;amp; Alison Webster &lt;span dir=3D"ltr"&gt;&amp
--001a11c3869a0415a6052d38d331

Having read this paper, those of us of a certain age may be asking "Hmmm,
where DID the last 45 years go, anyway ??"

They certainly didn't go very far towards addressing the main themes in
this article. More the reverse, perhaps, with somewhat recent minor
progress in the "right" directions.

Rick Whitman

On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 11:54 AM, David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com=

wrote:

> Hi Nancy & All,
>     That version of the Daly article is much longer than the printed
> version I saved. Good to see the more complete text.
>     The quote from Bertrand Russell is priceless-- from Daly's chapter;
> pasted below--
>
> In the 1930's the late Bertrand Russell proposed a policy of leisure
> growth rather than commodity growth and viewed the unemployment question =
in
> terms of the distribution of leisure. The following words are from his
> essay, "In Praise of Idleness:"
>
> Suppose that, at a given moment, a certain number of people are engaged i=
> the manufacture of pins. They make as many pins as the world needs, worki=
ng
> (say) eight hours a day. Someone makes an invention by which the same
> number of men can make twice as many pins as before. But the world does n=
ot
> need twice as many pins. Pins are already so cheap that hardly any more
> will be bought at a lower price. In a sensible world, everybody concerned
> in the manufacture of pins would take to working four hours instead of
> eight and everything else would go on as before. But in the actual world
> this would be thought demoralizing. The men still work eight hours, there
> are too many pins, some employers go bankrupt, and half the men previousl=
> concerned in making pins are thrown out of work. There is in the end just
> as much leisure as on the other plan, but half the men are totally idle
> while half are still overworked. In this way it is insured that the
> unavoidable leisure shall cause misery all round instead of being a
> universal source of happiness. Can anything more insane be imagined.

 Sunday
>> (yesterday).  Leonardo DiCaprio won best actor for =E2=80=9CThe Revenant=
=E2=80=9D, and his
>> short acceptance speech ended with some very well-chosen words about
>> climate change and the need for humanity to come to its senses finally a=
nd
>> so something about it.  He finished with something like, =E2=80=9CI don=
=E2=80=99t take our
>> planet for granted, and I don=E2=80=99t take this award for granted.=E2=
=80=9D

>> If anyone knows how to get DiCaprio=E2=80=99s actual words on climate ch=
ange, I
>> would like to see them again.
>>
>> Perhaps* fittingly, today was abnormally very warm*, albeit with very
>> strong winds.  Apparently Greenwood, King=E2=80=99s County, Nova Scotia,=
 was the
>> warmest spot in Canada at *17.6 degrees C.*
>>
>> *Cheers from Jim, in Wolfville.*
>>

>> No virus found in this message.
16

> No virus found in this message.
6

--001a11c3869a0415a6052d38d331

e asking &quot;Hmmm, where DID the last 45 years go, anyway ??&quot;<div><b=
r></div><div>They certainly didn&#39;t go very far towards addressing the m=
ain themes in this article. More the reverse, perhaps, with somewhat recent=
il_quote">On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 11:54 AM, David &amp; Alison Webster <span=
 dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dwebster@glinx.com" target=3D"_blank">dw=
 style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><u=
></u>

n the=20
printed version I saved. Good to see the more complete text.</div>
=20
Daly&#39;s chapter; pasted below-- </div>
Roman&#39;;WHITE-SPACE:normal;LETTER-SPACING:normal;COLOR:rgb(0,0,0);WORD-S=
PACING:0px">In=20
the 1930&#39;s the late Bertrand Russell proposed a policy of leisure growt=
h rather=20
than commodity growth and viewed the unemployment question in terms of the=
=20
distribution of leisure. The following words are from his essay, &quot;In P=
raise of=20
Idleness:&quot;</p>
Roman&#39;;WHITE-SPACE:normal;LETTER-SPACING:normal;COLOR:rgb(0,0,0);WORD-S=
PACING:0px">Suppose=20
that, at a given moment, a certain number of people are engaged in the=20
manufacture of pins. They make as many pins as the world needs, working (sa=
y)=20
eight hours a day. Someone makes an invention by which the same number of m=
en=20
can make twice as many pins as before. But the world does not need twice as=
 many=20
pins. Pins are already so cheap that hardly any more will be bought at a lo=
wer=20
price. In a sensible world, everybody concerned in the manufacture of pins =
would=20
take to working four hours instead of eight and everything else would go on=
 as=20
before. But in the actual world this would be thought demoralizing. The men=
=20
still work eight hours, there are too many pins, some employers go bankrupt=
, and=20
half the men previously concerned in making pins are thrown out of work. Th=
ere=20
is in the end just as much leisure as on the other plan, but half the men a=
re=20
totally idle while half are still overworked. In this way it is insured tha=
t the=20
unavoidable leisure shall cause misery all round instead of being a univers=
al=20
source of happiness. Can anything more insane be imagined.</p>
Roman&#39;;WHITE-SPACE:normal;LETTER-SPACING:normal;COLOR:rgb(0,0,0);WORD-S=
PACING:0px">=C2=A0</p></div>
-RIGHT:0px;MARGIN-LEFT:5px;MARGIN-RIGHT:0px" dir=3D"ltr">
  <a title=3D"nrobbyn@gmail.com" href=3D"mailto:nrobbyn@gmail.com" target=
=3D"_blank">N Robinson</a>=20
s.ca" href=3D"mailto:naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" target=3D"_blank">naturens@ch=
ebucto.ns.ca</a> </div>
0=20
  AM</div>
al=20
  warming Long: Re: [NatureNS] Leap Day, Leap Manifesto, global warming, Ac=
ademy=20
  Awards</div>
hat=20
  can be found online:<br><br><a href=3D"http://dieoff.org/page41.htm" targ=
onomics:=20
ison=20
  Webster <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dwebster@glinx.com" targe=
x 0px 0.8ex;PADDING-LEFT:1ex" class=3D"gmail_quote"><u></u>
    =C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0 =C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0 =C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0 =C2=A0=C2=A0=
=C2=A0=20
    =C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0 =C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0 =C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0 =C2=A0=C2=A0=
=C2=A0=20
    =C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0 =C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0 =C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0 =C2=A0=C2=A0=
=C2=A0=20
    =C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0 Mar 2, 2016</div>
 this=20
    anthropogenic problem.&quot;</div>
ed, I=20
    concluded that=C2=A0rampant consumerism, mechanization and the massive=
=20
    highway system which would be needed to serve the dream of a car (or se=
veral=20
    vehicles)=C2=A0in every driveway would quickly shred the environment an=
d=20
    generate unemployment.=C2=A0</div>
all the=20
    economists in the world were laid end to end they would still all point=
 in=20
    different directions&quot;. </div>
all the=20
    economists in the world were laid end to end they would still all point=
=20
    in=C2=A0the wrong=C2=A0direction&quot; and it is no longer amusing. </d=
iv>
=20
    60&#39;s=C2=A0it seemed obvious that combating global warming was desir=
able,=20
    even if it turned out to be a fiction, because actions to combat global=
=20
    warming, reduced consumption of fossil fuels, would also help to at=20
    least=C2=A0reduce the destructive effects of=C2=A0the above slow motion=
=20
    train wreck (A)..</div>
t;Toward a=20
    New Economics: Questioning Growth&quot; by Herman E. Daly,=C2=A0pp. 47-=
52 in ?;=20
    tore it out and saved it. This was an excerpt from a book The Patient E=
arth=20
    to be published in 1971 (which I never read). </div>
=20
    increase each year or else and after interest rates have barely exceede=
d=20
    inflation for 5 years our head bankers imagine that lowering rates, per=
haps=20
    into negative territory, will stimulate the economy by increasing=20
    consumption while, heaven forbid, not luring people into increasing=C2=
=A0=20
    their debt load=C2=A0=C2=A0And of course, at the same time,=C2=A0expres=
sing=20
    the hope that people will also continue to save for the rainy day or ol=
d age=20
    whichever comes first. </div>
d a=20
    clue then=C2=A0the rattle would drive them crazy.</div>
hoddy=20
    goods.=C2=A0Our first toaster, 1960 vintage, lasted 40 years; by taking=
 it=20
    apart, turning a screw here, bending a rod there, repairing a broken=20
    filament with a loop of wire... Our second toaster lasted one week, our=
=20
    third about one month and the fourth is still going after 15 years. Non=
e of=20
    the last three toasters can be taken apart so when something goes=C2=A0=
the=20
    unit also is toast.</div>
in=20
    global warming any more than they have been able to come to grips with =
the=20
    folly of perpetual growth. And, in any case, the two are just different=
=20
    sides of the same cloth.</div>
or=20
    indirect=C2=A0consumption of fossil fuels. If enough make this choice t=
hen=20
    politicians may get onside.</div>
ange,=20
    a huge reduction in motor vehicle traffic, highway construction, highwa=
y=20
    repair... could be launched by a few strokes of a pen in government han=
ds.=20
    With Motor Vehicle Insurance and Registration as high as it is and gaso=
line=20
    as cheap as it is there is little incentive to drive less. </div>
ional=20
    to distance driven then there would be real incentive for the public to=
=20
    demand and use effective public transit; less demand for wider highways=
,=20
    less traffic and fewer accidents. All held back in an effort to keep th=
at=20
    perpetual growth flywheel turning ever faster. </div>
PADDING-RIGHT:0px;MARGIN-LEFT:5px;MARGIN-RIGHT:0px" dir=3D"ltr">
b>=20
      <a title=3D"jimwolford@eastlink.ca" href=3D"mailto:jimwolford@eastlin=
k.ca" target=3D"_blank">Jim Wolford</a> </div>
to.ns.ca" href=3D"mailto:naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" target=3D"_blank">naturen=
s</a> </div>
:03=20
      PM</div>
eap=20
      Manifesto, global warming, Academy Awards</div>
&#39;"><b>From:=20
ord &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jimwolford@eastlink.ca" target=3D"_blank">jimwolf=
;"><b>Leap Day, Leap Manifesto, global=20
&#39;"><b>Date:=20
 2016 at=20
&#39;"><b>To:=20
NS &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:nature@blomidonnaturalists.ca" target=3D"_blank">n=
&#39;"><b>Cc:=20
ord &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jimwolford@eastlink.ca" target=3D"_blank">jimwolf=
</b>=20
        Makes me think of the <b>Leap Manifesto movement,</b> ala Naomi Kle=
in=E2=80=99s=20
        book and the similarly titled documentary filmed by Avi Lewis, <b>=
=E2=80=9CThis=20
        Changes Everything=E2=80=9D</b>, concerning global climate change a=
nd its=20
        repercussions and what can/should be done about this anthropogenic=
=20
        problem. =C2=A0</div>
he end of the=20
        Academy Awards on Sunday (yesterday).=C2=A0 Leonardo DiCaprio won b=
est=20
        actor for =E2=80=9CThe Revenant=E2=80=9D, and his short acceptance =
speech ended with=20
        some very well-chosen words about climate change and the need for=
=20
        humanity to come to its senses finally and so something about it.=
=C2=A0=20
        He finished with something like, =E2=80=9CI don=E2=80=99t take our =
planet for granted,=20
        and I don=E2=80=99t take this award for granted.=E2=80=9D</div>
=99s actual=20
        words on climate change, I would like to see them again.</div>
y very=20
        warm</b>, albeit with very strong winds.=C2=A0 Apparently Greenwood=
,=20
        King=E2=80=99s County, Nova Scotia, was the warmest spot in Canada =
at <b>17.6=20
        degrees C.</b></div>
r>Checked=20
      by AVG - <a href=3D"http://www.avg.com" target=3D"_blank">www.avg.com=
</a><br>Version: 2016.0.7442 / Virus Database:=20
      4537/11726 - Release Date:=20
a></a>