[NatureNS] spring sounds

Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2016 11:06:13 -0400
From: Rick Whitman <dendroica.caerulescens@gmail.com>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001a1134588e918bae052d4e92c8

With good quality tracks in light snow, does anyone know if you can
distinguish Ruffed G. from Spruce G. tracks ?
Thanks,
Rick.

On Sat, Mar 5, 2016 at 10:12 AM, rita.paul@ns.sympatico.ca <
rita.paul@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Grouse drumming is so nice to hear Nancy -
> reminds me of trout fishing. The grouse will probably be quite
> with the snow and all today. Seems the population is in the down cycle!
> This winter I read a good book on Grouse - "Grouse Feathers" by Burton
> Spiller.
> Stores of hunting, fishing, grouse biology, dogs and growing up in a rural
> area.
> I could relate to it all! He also wrote a book "Fishin Around" where he
> visited Nova Scotia
> and fished with Guide Gray for 2 weeks in the Tobeatic in the 1930s. He
> talks more
> about nature than fishing but gets a few fish. A great read on a stormy
> night.
> Enjoy the snow
> Paul
>

> > On March 4, 2016 at 4:39 PM NancyDowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > Lots of drumming in the woods this morning despite the -13C temperature.
> Pileated Woodpeckers and Hairy Woodpeckers could be heard on both sides of
> the lake, as well as a drumming Ruffed Grouse along the dirt road. The
> Grouse has been hanging out in the area all winter but this is the first
> morning I have heard it drumming.
> >
> > And a Brown Creeper was singing. I have not seen any here this winter
> until now. They are usually quite common in the early Spring woods near my
> place so I am expecting more to be arriving soon.
> >
> > Nancy D
> > E Dalhousie, Kings Co.

--001a1134588e918bae052d4e92c8

f you can distinguish Ruffed G. from Spruce G. tracks ?<div>Thanks,</div><d=
e">On Sat, Mar 5, 2016 at 10:12 AM, <a href=3D"mailto:rita.paul@ns.sympatic=
o.ca">rita.paul@ns.sympatico.ca</a> <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto=
:rita.paul@ns.sympatico.ca" target=3D"_blank">rita.paul@ns.sympatico.ca</a>=
&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0=
 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><u></u>
   =20
=20
=20
   Grouse drumming is so nice to hear Nancy -
   reminds me of trout fishing. The grouse will probably be quite
   with the snow and all today. Seems the population is in the down cycle!
   This winter I read a good book on Grouse - &quot;Grouse Feathers&quot; b=
y Burton Spiller.
   Stores of hunting, fishing, grouse biology, dogs and growing up in a rur=
al area.
   I could relate to it all! He also wrote a book &quot;Fishin Around&quot;=
 where he visited Nova Scotia
   and fished with Guide Gray for 2 weeks in the Tobeatic in the 1930s. He =
talks more
   about nature than fishing but gets a few fish. A great read on a stormy =
night.
   Enjoy the snow
   Paul
   =C2=A0
perature. Pileated Woodpeckers and Hairy Woodpeckers could be heard on both=
 sides of the lake, as well as a drumming Ruffed Grouse along the dirt road=
. The Grouse has been hanging out in the area all winter but this is the fi=
rst morning I have heard it drumming.=20