[NatureNS] spring sounds- grouse tracks

From: NancyDowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2016 14:49:12 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Rick and all

We only had 1cm snow yesterday, rapidly melting, and it is excellent tracking snow. Here is a known Ruffed Grouse track and trail showing a swish between the footprints (tail drag?):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/92981528@N08/25194830859/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/92981528@N08/24931890214/in/dateposted-public/
Perhaps someone will come across a Spruce Grouse before all the snow is gone and get a comparative track shot. A difference may be that the shorter-tailed Spruce Grouse rarely leaves a tail drag mark (if that is what it is)?

Could anyone explain the track components? Claw, pads etc. An odd foot.

Nancy D
E Dalhousie, Kings Co.