[NatureNS] spring sounds- grouse tracks

Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2016 18:45:27 -0400
From: Rick Whitman <dendroica.caerulescens@gmail.com>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

Spruce G. tracks ?&lt;br class=3D""&gt;Thanks,&lt;br class=3D""&gt;Rick.&lt
--089e0115fd32c95f44052d691ac9

Thanks, Nancy !! That's great to have "known" tracks photographed. I think
I'll be working on this myself too, but it may take a year or two.
Best,
Rick.

On Sun, Mar 6, 2016 at 2:49 PM, NancyDowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Rick and all
>
> We only had 1cm snow yesterday, rapidly melting, and it is excellent
> tracking snow. Here is a known Ruffed Grouse track and trail showing a
> swish between the footprints (tail drag?):
>
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/92981528@N08/25194830859/in/dateposted-public/
>
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/92981528@N08/24931890214/in/dateposted-public/
> Perhaps someone will come across a Spruce Grouse before all the snow is
> gone and get a comparative track shot. A difference may be that the
> shorter-tailed Spruce Grouse rarely leaves a tail drag mark (if that is
> what it is)?
>
> Could anyone explain the track components? Claw, pads etc. An odd foot.
>
> Nancy D
> E Dalhousie, Kings Co.
>
> On 2016-03-05, at 11:06 AM, Rick Whitman <dendroica.caerulescens@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > With good quality tracks in light snow, does anyone know if you can
> distinguish Ruffed G. from Spruce G. tracks ?
> > Thanks,
> > Rick.
> >
> > On Sat, Mar 5, 2016 at 10:12 AM, rita.paul@ns.sympatico.ca <
> rita.paul@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:
> > Grouse drumming is so nice to hear Nancy -
> > reminds me of trout fishing. The grouse will probably be quite
> > with the snow and all today. Seems the population is in the down cycle!
> > This winter I read a good book on Grouse - "Grouse Feathers" by Burton
> Spiller.
> > Stores of hunting, fishing, grouse biology, dogs and growing up in a
> rural area.
> > I could relate to it all! He also wrote a book "Fishin Around" where he
> visited Nova Scotia
> > and fished with Guide Gray for 2 weeks in the Tobeatic in the 1930s. He
> talks more
> > about nature than fishing but gets a few fish. A great read on a stormy
> night.
> > Enjoy the snow
> > Paul
> >

> > > On March 4, 2016 at 4:39 PM NancyDowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >

> > > Lots of drumming in the woods this morning despite the -13C
> temperature. Pileated Woodpeckers and Hairy Woodpeckers could be heard on
> both sides of the lake, as well as a drumming Ruffed Grouse along the dirt
> road. The Grouse has been hanging out in the area all winter but this is
> the first morning I have heard it drumming.
> > >
> > > And a Brown Creeper was singing. I have not seen any here this winter
> until now. They are usually quite common in the early Spring woods near my
> place so I am expecting more to be arriving soon.
> > >
> > > Nancy D
> > > E Dalhousie, Kings Co.

--089e0115fd32c95f44052d691ac9

; tracks photographed. I think I&#39;ll be working on this myself too, but =
=3D"gmail_extra"><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Sun, Mar 6, 2016 at 2:49=
 PM, NancyDowd <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:nancypdowd@gmail.com=
te class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc so=
lid;padding-left:1ex">Hi Rick and all<br>
We only had 1cm snow yesterday, rapidly melting, and it is excellent tracki=
ng snow. Here is a known Ruffed Grouse track and trail showing a swish betw=
een the footprints (tail drag?):<br>
sted-public/" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">https://www.flickr.com/p=
hotos/92981528@N08/25194830859/in/dateposted-public/</a><br>
sted-public/" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">https://www.flickr.com/p=
hotos/92981528@N08/24931890214/in/dateposted-public/</a><br>
Perhaps someone will come across a Spruce Grouse before all the snow is gon=
e and get a comparative track shot. A difference may be that the shorter-ta=
iled Spruce Grouse rarely leaves a tail drag mark (if that is what it is)?<=
br>
Could anyone explain the track components? Claw, pads etc. An odd foot.<br>
Nancy D<br>
E Dalhousie, Kings Co.<br>
On 2016-03-05, at 11:06 AM, Rick Whitman &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dendroica.ca=
erulescens@gmail.com">dendroica.caerulescens@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; With good quality tracks in light snow, does anyone know if you can di=
stinguish Ruffed G. from Spruce G. tracks ?<br>
&gt; Thanks,<br>
&gt; Rick.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; On Sat, Mar 5, 2016 at 10:12 AM, <a href=3D"mailto:rita.paul@ns.sympat=
ico.ca">rita.paul@ns.sympatico.ca</a> &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:rita.paul@ns.sy=
mpatico.ca">rita.paul@ns.sympatico.ca</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; Grouse drumming is so nice to hear Nancy -<br>
&gt; reminds me of trout fishing. The grouse will probably be quite<br>
&gt; with the snow and all today. Seems the population is in the down cycle=
!<br>
&gt; This winter I read a good book on Grouse - &quot;Grouse Feathers&quot;=
 by Burton Spiller.<br>
&gt; Stores of hunting, fishing, grouse biology, dogs and growing up in a r=
ural area.<br>
&gt; I could relate to it all! He also wrote a book &quot;Fishin Around&quo=
t; where he visited Nova Scotia<br>
&gt; and fished with Guide Gray for 2 weeks in the Tobeatic in the 1930s. H=
e talks more<br>
&gt; about nature than fishing but gets a few fish. A great read on a storm=
y night.<br>
&gt; Enjoy the snow<br>
&gt; Paul<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; On March 4, 2016 at 4:39 PM NancyDowd &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:nancy=
pdowd@gmail.com">nancypdowd@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; Lots of drumming in the woods this morning despite the -13C tempe=
rature. Pileated Woodpeckers and Hairy Woodpeckers could be heard on both s=
ides of the lake, as well as a drumming Ruffed Grouse along the dirt road. =
The Grouse has been hanging out in the area all winter but this is the firs=
t morning I have heard it drumming.<br>
&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; And a Brown Creeper was singing. I have not seen any here this wi=
nter until now. They are usually quite common in the early Spring woods nea=
r my place so I am expecting more to be arriving soon.<br>
&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; Nancy D<br>
&gt; &gt; E Dalhousie, Kings Co.<br>
&gt;<br>