[NatureNS] Eskimo Curlew article, March 8/16, Valley Harvester -- was Endangered Species Articles

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.glinx.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.glinx.com; client-ip=24.224.153.235; helo=D58WQPH1; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
From: "David & Alison Webster" <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2016 14:15:47 -0300

  &lt;DIV class=3Dgmail_quote&gt;On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 6:26 PM, Jim

------=_NextPart_000_026A_01D17D32.D6D00990

Hi Paul & All,                                    Mar 13, 2016
    I never hunted Geese, except with binoculars, and except in the =
Shubie. Wildlife Park rarely or perhaps never was within shotgun range.  =
They, compared to the Eskimo Curlew, are huge and I agree that a 22, =
although illegal I believe, would be a more effective way to gather =
Geese for food than any gauge of shotgun.=20
    My small bore shotgun was intended to suitably arm the bird watcher =
out to gather tongue in cheek ultimate proof of Eskimo Curley =
non-extinction. More about that later.
    In early days, so I understand from information gleaned from Lord =
knows where in the 50's, when specimens were needed for taxonomic =
studies 28 gauge was used with a minimum charge of medium to very small =
shot depending upon the bird size; barely enough to drop it with minimum =
damage to plumage.=20
    As bird size decreases and especially if they are readily within =
shotgun range and in motion then a shotgun is indicated (less wasted =
meat and fewer missed shots) but, as with anything else, it helps to be =
there and failing that a first-hand account is the next best thing.=20
    Typical Passenger Pigeon size was, from internet sources, 24" =
wingspan, length 17". tail length 8" and, John Muir (The story of my =
boyhood and youth) gives first-hand accounts of relatively large flocks =
being hunted for table use (not market hunting) as follows: "Every =
shotgun was aimed at them and everybody feasted on pigeon pies...".=20
    Market hunting was another matter and John makes use of Audubon's =
first-hand accounts. As observed by Audubon the hunting was at night, =
mostly after the flocks were on night roosts. They were either knocked =
from the roosts using long poles or clubbed after branches (and =
sometimes entire trees) broke under the weight of birds. Guns were also =
used but in the flickering light of pine torches or near darkness and in =
a mob of people gathering, plucking and salting birds, horses hauling =
wagons of birds away and eventually pigs let loose (to eat missed birds) =
use of a rifle seems unlikely to say the least. When squabs were =
gathered, large areas of trees were felled and the young birds were =
transported from Wisconsin to New York where they were sold at a penny =
each. Some were baited and caught in nets.
    The Eskimo Curlew was even smaller; 12" long and to judge from =
illustrations the body would be about 6" long and relatively slim. I =
have seen no accounts of market hunting but, from internet sources, =
about 2 million were killed annually in the late 1800's.

    Getting back to extinction questions, and this was the meat of my =
original post, it does not make sense to apply Boolean logic [Is/is not] =
to a system with huge observational uncertainty. Sweating buckets to =
decide between is/is not extinct if anything detracts from a summary of =
the raw data which I understand to be 'few confirmed observations in the =
last 50 years and possibly extinct or near extinction'. In the absence =
of a well organized and systematic multi-year survey of areas where/when =
a bird like the Eskimo Curlew should be seen the question is best left =
hanging and just let the evidence, such as it is, accumulate. And why =
bother; knowing for sure that it is extinct will not bring it back.=20
     =20
    It is more productive I think to focus energy and resources on =
slowing the rate of environmental degradation in one's immediate area or =
possibly reversing this at least locally than to literally study =
problems, at great expense, at the far ends of the earth.=20

    There are likely Arthropods in most habitats in NS which are not yet =
known to be present here. It does not take much looking to notice that =
an unkempt yard and unmowed lawn provides habitat for life and that =
frequent use of a rotary mower and trucking yard "waste" away for =
composting degrades potential habitat for life.

Happy lawn unmanagement,
DW, Kentville

   =20
   =20