[NatureNS] Barred Owl on the Ridge

From: Donna Crossland <dcrossland@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2016 22:31:14 -0300

It's wonderful to hear an update on Bernard's resident barred owls.

I miss hearing/seeing barred owls, which seem to be far fewer following last
year's harsh snow conditions.  The nights were much more silent last year in
Keji, and this seems to have carried over to this year.  We'll see what the
nocturnal owl surveys reveal.

I suppose we must accept that this is the ebb and flow of nature and
population dynamics, but it is difficult when we see all the additional
stressors placed on this species and many others from the rampant and
unprecedented removal of forests, and removal of forest-dwelling 'prey' and
nest cavities that are not even factored in to the clearcutting impacts.

On a happier note, the air was alive with song sparrows on my arrival home
from work today, with one robin in full song (rather than calling), and
joined by red-winged blackbirds.  Male catkins of alder, some extended and
shedding small amounts of pollen already.

Wood frogs should be calling here and there, but I haven't heard them yet.
Anyone else?

Donna