[NatureNS] ruffed grouse aggressive behaviour

Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2016 15:18:15 -0300
From: Helene Van Doninck <helene.birdvet@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--089e01184c045f2670052e56c54d

Every year at about this time we get many calls about either "tame" or
"friendly" grouse.  I blame it on hormones :)
Helene

Helene Van Doninck DVM
Cobequid Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre
Hilden Nova Scotia
www.cwrc.net
helene.birdvet@gmail.com
902-893-0253
On Mar 18, 2016 12:55 PM, "Paul Ruggles" <cpruggles@eastlink.ca> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I was able to capture some strange ruffed grouse behaviour on video
> yesterday at a logging road that I often visit.
>
> Some of you may remember that I got some video last spring of a female
> grouse that insisted on crossing a woods road very close to where I was
> parked.  Last years video was taken out the window of my car. Most of it
> was taken with a variety of telephoto use at distances ranging from 40 to 3
> yards.
>
> This year my adventure was with a male grouse that I met as I was driving.
> I started taking a few clips out the front windshield as he walked towards
> the car. As he passed on the drivers side he was too close to see so I got
> out and nearly stepped on him! The grouse went slightly into the edge of
> the woods and thus began a 15 to 20 minute game of hide and seek - with him
> at an average range of about 3 yards - with me often, but not always, on
> the opposite side of the road. He casually ducked in and out of cover,
> seemingly keeping an eye on me but showing no sign of fear. The game
> eventually ended with him crossing to "my" side of the road where I again
> nearly stepping on him!
>
> Anyone hear of similar ruffed grouse behaviour?
>
> Paul.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN9vPZWRq8auD66f8rfEKeQ

--089e01184c045f2670052e56c54d

 &quot;tame&quot; or &quot;friendly&quot; grouse.=C2=A0 I blame it on hormo=
nes :)<br>
Helene </p>
Cobequid Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre<br>
Hilden Nova Scotia<br>
www.cwrc.net<br>
helene.birdvet@gmail.com<br=

902-893-0253</p>
t; &lt;cpruggles@eastlink.ca&g=
t; wrote:<br type=3D"attribution"><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=
=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Hi all,<=
br>
I was able to capture some strange ruffed grouse behaviour on video yesterd=
ay at a logging road that I often visit.<br>
Some of you may remember that I got some video last spring of a female grou=
se that insisted on crossing a woods road very close to where I was parked.=
=C2=A0 Last years video was taken out the window of my car. Most of it was =
taken with a variety of telephoto use at distances ranging from 40 to 3 yar=
ds.<br>
This year my adventure was with a male grouse that I met as I was driving. =
I started taking a few clips out the front windshield as he walked towards =
the car. As he passed on the drivers side he was too close to see so I got =
out and nearly stepped on him! The grouse went slightly into the edge of th=
e woods and thus began a 15 to 20 minute game of hide and seek - with him a=
t an average range of about 3 yards - with me often, but not always, on the=
 opposite side of the road. He casually ducked in and out of cover, seeming=
ly keeping an eye on me but showing no sign of fear. The game eventually en=
ded with him crossing to &quot;my&quot; side of the road where I again near=
ly stepping on him!<br>
Anyone hear of similar ruffed grouse behaviour?<br>
Paul.<br>
"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN9vPZWRq8a=
uD66f8rfEKeQ</a><br>

--089e01184c045f2670052e56c54d--