[NatureNS] ruffed grouse aggressive behaviour

From: bev wigney <bkwigney@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2016 12:07:03 -0400
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

All,

I believe this topic came up for discussion a couple of years ago.  I reported on my own experience with an unusually aggressive grouse that my late husband and I met along the Hemlock Trail at Kejimkujik NP in August 2007.  It began stalking us from a couple or so meters to the side of the trail, ducking under vegetation to keep somewhat hidden while it followed us for some distance.  Occasionally, it would get ahead and then rush at us the way an ornery rooster will do.  It was particularly aggressive toward our large Rough Collie which, typical of her breed, was a kind old soul who did her best to ignore the angry bird.  It ran at each of us a few times too, going for our boots.

Bev Wigney,
Round Hill, NS