[NatureNS] Beech tree seedlings

From: derek rowter <drowt@hotmail.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2016 17:53:30 -0300

--_0caad0dc-d554-47da-a633-1da4e0376495_

On a related note:
Does anyone know if mature=2C possibly old growth Beeches are susceptible t=
o the insect/fungal disease that damages and causes the typical "knobbly" b=
ark of NS Beeches. I have a small lot riddled with Beeches of various ages =
and most are affected. There are however a few=2C quite large specimens wit=
h atypically smooth bark and healthy appearance.
Could it be they were of sufficient age before infestation to be resistant?=
  how would one determine if this is the cae as opposed to the recently rep=
orted genetic variants which are unaffected?
=20
Derek Rowter
=20