[NatureNS] starlings - bird feed seed treatment

From: Stephen Shaw <srshaw@Dal.Ca>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2016 16:54:49 +0000

Hi Mary,
But who certifies that seeds are neonic-free?  Reading the very brief ABC link that you quote, ABC says that they have requested assurance from the two largest seed producers that their products are neonicotinoid-free.  ABC obviously has not received such assurances (yet?) or would have said so, so they can’t clarify this issue.  Reading the back of a couple of my seed bags, even the origin of the seeds is not clear/vague (‘domestic and imported’, original supplier not given), and says nothing about pesticide content.

Surprising to me, the ABC link says that eating a single treated seed is sufficient to kill a bird, but gives no supporting information/references.  You obviously follow this more than most of us — is this level of sensitivity well established, and are there supporting links/references?  Vertebrates are allegedly much less sensitive to such pesticides than are some invertebrates (insects), but perhaps that is not true for neonics?
Steve (Hfx)