[NatureNS] starlings - bird feed seed treatment

From: Ian McLaren <I.A.McLaren@Dal.Ca>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2016 18:44:19 +0000

All:

While it might be tempting to invoke neonicotinoids in the decline of Starlings, the Black-capped Chickadee, surely the feeder seed-eater par excellence, has increased here almost five-fold per CBC party-hour during the same period, and others (Mourning Dove, N. Cardinal) have spread to and increased here, doubtless assisted by winter feeding.

Some have argued that Starlings thrived on garbage - now better managed - so maybe my initial
'concern' was misplaced.

Ian McLaren