[NatureNS] A shout-out for Road Ecology

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Fred Schueler <bckcdb@istar.ca>
Cc: Aleta Karstad <karstad@pinicola.ca>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 09:53:23 -0400

On 4/7/2016 12:00 AM, Stephen Shaw wrote:
> Obviously, the dead ones would have stayed on the road to be observed where they died and could have accumulated over 24 hours (or more, if not scavenged) if Fred surveyed once a day, but probably most of the smaller numbers of live ones that he observed over a few minutes each time actually did manage to cross the road successfully (within a few minutes?), to be replaced by another batch that also crossed mostly successfully (in the next few minutes?).  Without knowing the numbers of anurans attempting to cross per time interval, and the time period over which the kills accumulated, you can't estimate the kill rate, but it's not going to be up in the 87% range: putting in largely fanciful extra numbers, I came up with perhaps a 4% road kill.  Perhaps Fred has a more solid estimate?

* that's right, and one problem with using roads, and especially these
roads, to detect movement is that in the village there's almost no
traffic between midnight and 06h00 - so the late night movements get
away undetected except when I'm out there to see them, while some
carcasses can be identifiable as scraps for a week after they've died.
On the other hand, there are roads with more traffic where almost
nothing makes it across the road, a pattern you can observe in the
location of all the squashed carcasses in the lane next to the source of
movement.

> One of the most remarkable statistics in Bev's link is that the road section Fred surveyed was 246 m long (1/4 km) and that this full length apparently was sampled each walk, resulting in an average of ~4 animals observed per meter.  Over the 3 years surveyed, Fred therefore would have been making ~1000 observations total per walk, in a sampling time averaging about 7 minutes per walk.  That's walking at ~2 km/h, by itself not unreasonable, but it means somehow recording numbers and identifying species at a rate of ~140 records per minute, or >2 per second.   Even standing still I couldn't imagine how such a tally rate could possibly be achieved, so must be missing something.

* that's a confounding of the various classes of totals: 990 records in
572 outings means less than 2 species per outing on average - the "3.9
individuals per metre in 2004, 5.8/m in 2005, 3.9/m in 2006" was for the
entire years.

With an additional decade of observations (even with 2 summers mostly
away from home), I'm now up to 4020 records of species on this transect,
and 803 outings when nothing was seen on the streets, and I really ought
to find a winter to write it up as a book-length publication. Lots of
things have changed over the years - huge fluctuations in Amphibian
numbers, declines in alien Cepaea snails, many fewer Giant Water Bugs,
and the increase in the alien Yellow Underwing Moth caterpillars.

Our pitch for others doing this kind of project is at
http://pinicola.ca/AdoptX.htm and you could snag the datasheet from
http://pinicola.ca/wasted_lives.pdf - I discuss other aspects of road
ecology at http://pinicola.ca/rd_ecol_10_quest.pdf

Wikipedia has a sketchy 'road ecology' page, with links to other pages
with adequate coverage of related issues.  OREG has moved with Dave
Ireland to the ROM and has a not-very-up-to-date webpage at
https://www.rom.on.ca/en/collections-research/research-community-projects/community-projects/the-ontario-road-ecology-group
- which announces a 2014 meeting to form a Canada-wide road ecology
group, but not much seems to have happened on this front...

fred.

--
           Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
Vulnerable Watersheds - http://vulnerablewaters.blogspot.ca/