[NatureNS] White Point, Queens

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2016 17:11:51 -0300

Spring is here no matter how much snow we get from now on. Grackle numbers
seem to be holding at roughly 25, there are three red-winged blackbirds, one
holding court in the swamp, the others travelling with the grackles. There
are starlings, 5 brown headed cowbirds, males, Chickadees, Sparrows, song
White Throats and a few I am uncertain as the the variety. The Juncos are
moving trough, there are goldfinches and a couple purple finches, males and
females. The female Robins started to arrive yesterday. There are the Downy
and Hairy woodpeckers. I can hear a Flicker from time to time. There is a
mockingbird behind the barn attending a feeder behind us somewhere. So far I
haven't seen a Heron but am being told they are coming back. There is a
Woodcock in behind the big barn at the golf course corner. The wonderful
news is the barn is being repaired.  I expect there will be places for the
barn swallows should any return.
We have peepers and the wood frogs were sounding off this afternoon. I can
smell the perfume of the catkins from the alders wafting on the wind.
Rhubarb is up, Garlic is up and Haskaps are leafing out. Snowdrops are
forming pods now and the early croci are about spent. That heavy rain
flattened them.
I was checking for Mayflowers this afternoon in our yard; there are buds but
they are raising but are still tight.

I think the rain has rotted out the tree peonies but they have surprised me
before, maybe they will come along. The climbing hydrangea is budding
quickly and I see daylilies, cranesbill and poppies are getting well along.
Cranesbill has buds!
best regards, Marg

Marg Millard
19 White Point 2 Rd., White Point, Queens Co.,
R.R. # 1 Hunts Point,
Nova Scotia , Canada
(902) 683-2393 MargMillard.ca
Facebook: White Point Artist, Marg Millard.