[NatureNS] re Treefrogs heard, was Owl Count

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Fred Schueler <bckcdb@istar.ca>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2016 13:45:29 -0400

On 4/14/2016 12:32 PM, Jim Wolford wrote:
> Bev, the gray treefrog occurs in N.B. but not in N.S.  The ones heard by
> Paul would be spring peepers.

* Hyla versicolor was historically known in NB only from "Hyla Park" in
Fredericton, but in recent decades it has spread across the SW of NB
from Maine. I'm not sure what the exact limits are now. There has been
one record from NS (near Wolfville?) which is suspected to have been
carried in by a truck, but I haven't heard that this has spread or been
heard again.

We've documented an apparent introduction on the outer Bruce Peninsula,
in Ontario, which seems to have spread from an introduction in Tobermory.

fred.

--
           Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
Vulnerable Watersheds - http://vulnerablewaters.blogspot.ca/